• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dash 8 or CRJ? Which one and why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll second the big cockpit in the Dash. 4000+ hour in the Dash and no complaints here. Never flew the CRJ.

the dash can do things the crj can't do either, and chances are, you'll get a better qol (unless its mesas dash) with lear love on the room, dash cockpit is suposedly similiar dimensions to the '37, and generally your paid by the hour, so the dash is better in that respect
although its not as new and fancy

Actually the Dash is bigger in front than the 737 as well. I know its hard to believe with the difference in the size of the airplanes. the 737 tapers to a point up front leaving the cockpit relatively narrow. While the Dash is just as wide up front as it is all the way back. If you dont believe me check out some cockpit photos, the center consol on the dash is wider and there is more room on both sides in the Dash, although you probably cant see that in a photo.

RP170 said:
CHQ does have the shortest upgrade currently as far as I know. Guys in the June E170 class I was in were hired in April of 04 and upgrading already. I heard upgrades at Mesa have really slowed down and will be several years if you are a new hire.

April 03 class yes... 04, not quite!

Are they saying there's going to be another Dash-8 Class? Hooray if it's true we need dash drivers badly. One of the good points with the Dash at YV is that you won't be part of that musical bases nonsense that occurs with the CRJ. PHX DEN and GJT thats it, and in the time I've been here no one has ever been displaced on the DHC.

Phx is relatively senior for FOs now, but should be able to hold it within a year. If you get based in GJT, you probably won't have to stay there long unless you want to. DEN is the middle seniority base, and I'd say the best flying on the dash. Good overnights, pretty good flying in the rockies. F/A's are fugly here but what else is new.

Are they giving you a choice? DHC-8 upgrade is slowed considerably. I'd say a promising bet is the 2-2.5 year mark. CRJ/ERJ is at least 4 years. Jet FO salary year 2 is much better than DHC-8 FO yr 2, so if it's all about the $$ go to the jet... Just expect to be moved around alot. BNA, ORD, PHL, IAD, PHX, god knows what next....

Otto Coarsen said:
Chicks dig money.

So, if it's chicks you're after find another profession.

Thanks Otto! Yeah, just got hired on with Mesa for Aug. 8th class and they said it will be ERJ/CRJ or Dash-8, but they assured us no 1900 hiring. I live in PHX and I wouldnt mind flyin the Dash because of the bases since I would like to stay in PHX, but if I had to commute to DEN or Junction that wouldnt be as bad as Ohare or Nashville, or even worse DC. Yeah, the pay doesnt seem to good in the Dash but at least Capt upgrade would only take about 2 years or so. (hopefully) If I get CRJ, thats ok too!! I think Dash would be awesome experience!

Right on... Well odds are that you won't get a choice between the Dash and the jet. Historically people with higher time get the Dash. In the past people with lower times didn't do quite as well in the program.

Although, you will see a few higher time CFIs in a dash class, it's normally made up of 135 guys and folks with some turbine 135 experience.

When I went through they took 15 folks for the Dash (pre-selected for whatever reason) and the remaining 50 or so got to fill out "dream sheets" for the CRJ/ERJ and were awarded whatever they got while in indoc.

Now, back then, there was a MAJOR captain shortage on the Dash and my whole class was awarded DHC-8 Captain, IN GROUND SCHOOL.... The class of 15 ended up a class of 9 and to this day I'm one of 5 that remain for whatever reason. Then they did similar the following month and in the late spring '04. The most junior captain on the Dash right now was hired (I believe) in April '04.

Things have changed a little. Now there's a bunch of san juaners who are beginning to meet the upgrade minimums, and about 10-15 FO's hired in '04 who have their bid in for Captain. Probably, most of these folks will upgrade within the year, and others may go over to the jet, so with all that considered, 2-2.5 years seems about right.....

The most recent D8 class that started last month, rumor has it, were all awarded GJT FO... This is because a hand full of GJT fo's bid over to PHX which is extremely short. I don't know where this leaves Denver, as we are still fairly short on both Captains and FOs. I'd say it's likely a newhire D8 FO will get GJT or DEN. Not a bad commute... Expect to be able to hold PHX FO within a year. PHX remains very senior for captains though... I still can't even touch it if I wanted. (which I don't)

As for the 1900, you don't have to worry. If you were getting that, your ground school would be in Wichita. I think there's a good chance you'll get the Dash. If you do, you'll love it. We're a tight knit bunch and seem to keep out of the BS that goes on in Jetworld. The Dash is a damn good machine and like I said before we go into some pretty wicked places, like Aspen. We get to eat good Skywest snacks out of Denver too...

Good luck, PM me if you have any specific questions...

Latest resources

Back