Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jbroey3

Hello everyone,

I have a friend who may currently have a chance to fly the Dash 8 -400 series aircraft. I am trying to locate the AFM for the type so that he can get a heads up for the systems, knowledge etc.

Does anyone have, or, know of a place that has the AFM online in downloadable format such as Adobe PDF format, or.. somewhere online that it can be viewed?

It'd be really great if he could go into any interview/training situation with some already established knowledge.

I know it may be a longshot, but maybe someone here could help me help him out.

Thanks in advance
- Jbroey

:)

I doubt if you're going to find an AFM on the internet yet. Until the electronic flight bag becomes a reality for more airlines, most are in hard copy format. I understand Comair is planning on going to the EFB within the next 9 - 12 months.

Jbroey3 said:
Hello everyone,

I have a friend who may currently have a chance to fly the Dash 8 -400 series aircraft. I am trying to locate the AFM for the type so that he can get a heads up for the systems, knowledge etc.

Does anyone have, or, know of a place that has the AFM online in downloadable format such as Adobe PDF format, or.. somewhere online that it can be viewed?

It'd be really great if he could go into any interview/training situation with some already established knowledge.

I know it may be a longshot, but maybe someone here could help me help him out.

Thanks in advance
- Jbroey

:)

A dash manual or any other aircraft type of manual will not help much in ref. to a 121 airline interview unless you have time in that piticular aircraft.

Say you get an interview with Horizon, your better off knowing the aircraft your currently flying, general turbine aircraft systems, the AIM/FARs (91,135 and maybe alittle 121) and HR type interview gouge.

99.99% of the time they will not ask you questions about aircraft the airline has unless you have time in that aircraft. In my case if i inteviewed with say Horizon I'm sure i'd get some Dash type questions as they will see mt Dash exp on my app. Or say your looking to jump from Mesa as a CRJ fo to Comair where they fly CRJ's then yes expect some CRJ type questions but for guys looking to crack into commuter/regional airlines I'd say stick to:

1. FAR/AIM - pay attention to regs that pertain to IFR and sections of the AIM that have IFR info also. Don't forget WX stuff too. Also don't forget the ATP and Comm written book but don't worry about the x-country and W&B calculation stuff.

2. A general systems type manual like "turbine pilots flight manual"

3. Your general aircraft POH or manual for the largest/most complex aircraft your currently flying. Know systems and limitations cold. For example if your flying 135 freight in a navajo then know that plane or if your and instructor know the twin you instruct in like a seminol or seneca. If you have limited twin exp. know the most complex SEL aircraft you fly for hire but also be able to answer questions about the twin you got your multi rating in.

4. use aviationinterviews and this board to compile information on gereral and company specific HR interview questions and gouge.

Keep it simple. I've been ther and also helped alot of guys get there and the biggest mistake is that I see is guys going way overboard and not keeping to the basics. Hope it helps.

Quick list for regional type interview stuff

1. FAR/AIM
2. ATP written
3. POH of your current twin or most complex SEL aircraft
4. Turbine pilots flight manual
5. HR and airline specific gouge from buds and internet

STUDY and Practice answering questions with friends and video yourself then do it again until your comfortable.

the simple list above will get you past 99.99% of the interviesw out there.

Thank you guys for the responses.

The guy that I'm tryin to help out was previously flying an ATR 72-200 and has about 3000 multi-turbine hours in type. He has about 5,000 hours total time I think if I am remebering correctly.

He seems to be quite a knowlegable guy, so I think he'd probably do okay in an interview with all the other core areas of prior study.

I totally agree with you though Learlove, I think that it's good to go back to the basics and have those down cold as well.

Whitestoneclimb, yeah I think E-books/pdf files and the like, are definately the future. No need to cut down anymore trees I guess.

Speaking of which.. ( Online/electronic flight bag/AFM software),.. Does anyone have any Idea of a particular handheld ( PDA ) device that allows for adobe acrobat files to be viewed?

Adobe Acrobat files have the .pdf extension to the filename. I don't know too much about PDA technology yet,.. so if anyone could enlighten me about it,.. that would be great too.

Thanks again, and in advance for anything :)
-Jbroey

go to [size=-1]www.esscoaircraft.com
I purchased some AVRO manuals from them. They were very helpful in preparing for class.

Good Luck
[/size]

LearLove said:
A dash manual or any other aircraft type of manual will not help much in ref. to a 121 airline interview unless you have time in that piticular aircraft.

Say you get an interview with Horizon, your better off knowing the aircraft your currently flying, general turbine aircraft systems, the AIM/FARs (91,135 and maybe alittle 121) and HR type interview gouge.

99.99% of the time they will not ask you questions about aircraft the airline has unless you have time in that aircraft. In my case if i inteviewed with say Horizon I'm sure i'd get some Dash type questions as they will see mt Dash exp on my app. Or say your looking to jump from Mesa as a CRJ fo to Comair where they fly CRJ's then yes expect some CRJ type questions but for guys looking to crack into commuter/regional airlines I'd say stick to:

1. FAR/AIM - pay attention to regs that pertain to IFR and sections of the AIM that have IFR info also. Don't forget WX stuff too. Also don't forget the ATP and Comm written book but don't worry about the x-country and W&B calculation stuff.

2. A general systems type manual like "turbine pilots flight manual"

3. Your general aircraft POH or manual for the largest/most complex aircraft your currently flying. Know systems and limitations cold. For example if your flying 135 freight in a navajo then know that plane or if your and instructor know the twin you instruct in like a seminol or seneca. If you have limited twin exp. know the most complex SEL aircraft you fly for hire but also be able to answer questions about the twin you got your multi rating in.

4. use aviationinterviews and this board to compile information on gereral and company specific HR interview questions and gouge.

Keep it simple. I've been ther and also helped alot of guys get there and the biggest mistake is that I see is guys going way overboard and not keeping to the basics. Hope it helps.

Quick list for regional type interview stuff

1. FAR/AIM
2. ATP written
3. POH of your current twin or most complex SEL aircraft
4. Turbine pilots flight manual
5. HR and airline specific gouge from buds and internet

STUDY and Practice answering questions with friends and video yourself then do it again until your comfortable.

the simple list above will get you past 99.99% of the interviesw out there.

Agreed.

Jbroey3 said:
The guy that I'm tryin to help out was previously flying an ATR 72-200 and has about 3000 multi-turbine hours in type. He has about 5,000 hours total time I think if I am remebering correctly.

Shoot. I hope he isn't trying to get on with Horizon. He has way too much time!:rolleyes: We only hire people with under 1000 hours and no previous experience except flight instruction:mad:

Latest resources

Back