• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hamfighter

Want to See DALPA Put a Positive Spin on This

Bloomberg Businessweek Interview with Lee Moak
In an August 13th article by Justin Bachman of Bloomberg Businessweek titled, "Pilot Contract Talks in 2015 to Come Amid Robust Airline Profits", the following quotes are present:

"With U.S. airlines awash in cash these days, one of the big questions in the industry has become how much of that wealth will pilots seek next year when contracts at several carriers come up for renegotiation."

"This is really a good story," ALPA President Lee Moak said Tuesday during a visit to Bloomberg Businessweek in New York, part of a quick tour to assure Wall Street analysts that ALPA's contract demands won't prove onerous to airlines. "I almost can't stand it, it's so good."

"Shareholders have started to realize returns in the form of dividends and stock buybacks. Thanks to the profits, pilots now see themselves as collaborators with management-they increasingly lobby alongside airline executives in Washington. That, says Moak, deepens the working relationships. "All of a sudden, you find yourself on the same side of 95 percent of the issues," he says."

"Of course, all the cash an airline generates can go to shareholders or employees, and that basic dynamic is likely to play out in the 2015 contract negotiations-especially at Delta and Spirit, both industry leaders when it comes to superior financial returns. Moak contends that ALPA pilots at the larger carriers enjoy what he calls "mature, good contracts" already. Radical overhauls aren't in the cards, he says."

"Most of the contract talks are likely to center on basic compensation-hourly pay rates and how much carriers pay into pilots' retirement plans. "There will be a business discussion of pay as it relates to revenue," Moak says. "You can argue about $2 or $2.05, and that matters to the crew member," but "you're working on the margins" on the new contracts, he says."

CLICK HERE to read the full interview.

Last edited:
DALPA is putting major fires out right now. But, Moak is the President of ALPA National. Every ALPA carrier should be concerned about his comments. ALPA pilots should call in to their MECs or LECs and complain about Moak's stance. Pay and benefits need to increase along with huge profits at the Legacies and LCCs.

Bye Bye---General Lee

My bet is when the Delta pilots sign C2015 they will be the highest compensated group in the industry. What the actual numbers look like is anyone's guess right now. Any takers? :beer:

Last edited:
Moak isn't even running for re-election. Don't worry about him. Worry about his replacement. You've got Moak's sidekick in the one hand, and the UAL MEC chairman in the other. I know which one I'd take.

I'd take Krusty the clown over Heppner any day! Heppner is nothing but Moak's cabin boy...

You know nothing of Heppner if you think that.

Moak isn't even running for re-election. Don't worry about him. Worry about his replacement. You've got Moak's sidekick in the one hand, and the UAL MEC chairman in the other. I know which one I'd take.

Is Heppner the guy that got the DAL minus contract three years after the merger? Didn't Moak and his side kick negotiate pay rates higher than UAL on the date of corporate closure?

How much equity did Heppner get for the United pilots in the merger? The Delta pilots got 5.5% on day one. Worth about $1.7B today. How much did you get?

Yep, I know which one I'd take.

Last edited:
Is Heppner the guy that got the DAL minus contract three years after the merger? Didn't Moak and his side kick negotiate pay rates higher than UAL on the date of corporate closure?

How much equity did Heppner get for the United pilots in the merger? The Delta pilots got 5.5% on day one. Worth about $1.7B today. How much did you get?

Yep, I know which one I'd take.

None of which has any relevance to running the national union.

Latest resources

Back