DAL interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lookin4better

The hiring email says the 'hiring process' will be the same as in 1998-2001...... can anybody hired during that timeframe share what that experience was like?

Thanks in advance

The hiring email says the 'hiring process' will be the same as in 1998-2001...... can anybody hired during that timeframe share what that experience was like?

Thanks in advance
2 Day interview process...
Day one= lots of computerized tests, cognitive skills, MMPP, FAR's., Stuff off the F/E written.
Personal interview then. One HR, One retired pilot.
If all goes well, you're invited back for day 2.

Day two= pretty intensive physical. blood / urine tests, followed by a psych eval.
It's been so long, I'm suffering from CRS!

Thanks in advance

Mine was three days
1. Tests - MMPI, Aviation, Logic, Math, Analogies, etc. Read the questions thoroughly.
2. Interview (assuming you did well enough on the tests - they won't tell you your score). Retired Capt and HR guy. They're hiring Capts, not FOs, so think like one. A Good technique is to restate the question in you answer - this gives you time to think and also allows them to see that you're answering the question they asked. Finally, ask for clarification and additional information if you're given a situational question (CVR CB pulled, Pax issue, etc). You probably won't get anything, but it shows that you're not going to jump to a conclusion.
3. Physical / Psych - No idea what's going to happen this time around.

I wish you success!
Bill

PS - I'll be checking the Delta Interview Threads very carefully that was how I first got involved with the Old Flight Info (where are all my old posts?).

My experience was like this.. The interview with HR and the retired pilot was super easy, getting to that point was a huge pain!

Good luck-

Be careful on the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) test. They are looking for consistency in answers - if you try to "beat" it, they will know.

Here is a definition of what the test is:

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is one of the most frequently used personality test in the mental health fields (Hogan, 2003). This assessment, or test, was designed to help identify personal, social, and behavioral problems in psychiatric patients. The test helps provide relevant information to aid in problem identification, diagnosis, and treatment planning for the patient.

Ten clinical scales (as found in the original MMPI) are used in assessment, and are as follows: hypochondriasis, depression, hysteria, psychopathic deviate, masculinity-femininity, paranoia, psychasthenia, schizophrenia, mania, and social introversion.

There are an additional three validity scales; (i.e., if the test-taker was truthful, answered cooperatively and not randomly) and to assess the test-taker's response style (i.e., cooperative).

The test has also been used for job screening and other non-clinical assessments, which is considered controversial and is in some cases illegal (not illegal in this case as you are in a position of safety).

The MMPI has been used for a range of assessments:

Identification of suitable candidates for high-risk public safety positions such as nuclear power plant workers, police officers, airline pilots, medical and psychology students, firefighters and seminary students.

The ten trait scales on the MMPI-2 are:
Scale 1 — Hypochondriasis

Neurotic concern over bodily functioning.

Scale 2 — Depression

Poor morale, lack of hope in the future, and a general dissatisfaction with one's own life situation. High scores are clinical depression whilst lower scores are more general unhappiness with life.

Scale 3 — Hysteria

Hysterical reaction to stressful situations. Often have 'normal' facade and then go to pieces when faced with a 'trigger' level of stress. People who tend to score higher include brighter, better educated and from higher social classes. Women score higher too.

Scale 4 — Psychopathic Deviation

Measures social deviation, lack of acceptance of authority, amorality. Adolescents tend to score higher.

Scale 5 — Masculinity-Femininity

This scale was originally developed to identify homosexuals, but did not do so accurately. Instead, it is used to measure how strongly an individual identifies with the traditional (pre-1960's) masculine or feminine role. Men tend to get higher scores. It is also related to intelligence, education, and socioeconomic status.

Scale 6 — Paranoia

Paranoid symptoms such as ideas of reference, feelings of persecution, grandiose self-concepts, suspiciousness, excessive sensitivity, and rigid opinions and attitudes.

Scale 7 — Psychasthenia

Originally characterized by excessive doubts, compulsions, obsessions, and unreasonable fears, it now indicates conditions such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). It also shows abnormal fears, self-criticism, difficulties in concentration, and guilt feelings.

Scale 8 — Schizophrenia

Assesses a wide variety of content areas, including bizarre thought processes and peculiar perceptions, social alienation, poor familial relationships, difficulties in concentration and impulse control, lack of deep interests, disturbing questions of self-worth and self-identity, and sexual difficulties.

Scale 9 — Hypomania

Tests for elevated mood, accelerated speech and motor activity, irritability, flight of ideas, and brief periods of depression.

Scale 0 — Social Introversion

Tests for a person's tendency to withdraw from social contacts and responsibilities. The authors also developed four Validity Scales to detect "deviant test-taking attitudes" and gauge the accuracy of the other scales.

The "Cannot Say" scale

This is the simple frequency of the number of items omitted or marked both true and false. Large numbers of missing items call the scores on all other scales into question.

The L scale

Originally called the "Lie" scale, this was an attempt to assess naive or unsophisticated attempts by people to present themselves in an overly favorable light. These items were rationally derived rather than criterion keyed.

The F scale

This is a deviant, or rare response scale. The approach was to look at items which are rarely endorsed by normal people. If less than 10 percent of the normals endorse the item, but you do, your F count goes up. "All laws should be eliminated."

The K scale

This scale was an attempt to assess more subtle distortion of response, particularly clinically defensive response. The K scale was constructed by comparing the responses of a groups of people who were known to be clinically deviant but who produced normal MMPI profiles with a group of normal people who produced normal MMPI profiles (no evidence of psychopathology in both).

The K scale was subsequently used to alter scores on other MMPI scales. It was reasoned that high K people give scores on other scales which are too low. K is used to adjust the scores on other scales. K-corrected and uncorrected scores are available when the test results are interpreted.

There are additional validity scales developed via research and incorporated into computer scoring services (whether used in office or sent to a service for scoring).

Last edited:
Resume,

I sort of agree/disagree with your MMPI assessment. Your correct that answering how you think they want it answered will get you in trouble... Your answers need to be the same across the board, even though they seem like they are asking the same thing.

Although you can't cheat on it, or beat it.... you can prepare for it.

I took the MMPI a month before my interview from some mail order place in CA, can't remember where. At least you will know if you are a psycho or not, they gave me the results back and the recommendation was to do the exact same thing on interview day.

The problem is trying to remember how you answered 450 questions over a month prior!

Good luck-

Not sure if I agree whether you can "prepare" for it or not. Yes, you can take the test, but the factor not being considered here is the criteria that Delta is looking at most closely.

Of course they do not want psychopaths, depressed or obsessive compulsive pilots flying the airplanes. But the way a pychologist or psychiatrist would use the test for admitting or diagnosing a patient is going to be a little bit different than what a psychologist working with the airline will look at.

While I am not privvy to what Delta is looking for, I can venture a few guesses. First, if someone tries to beat the test by answering how you "think" the airline wants you to, that will come out as dishonesty and evading the questions. To me, that would translate into whether or not you will try to "get around the rules for your benefit."

Second, since the cockpit is a "team" environment, someone who has high "F" scale scores might be seen as someone who is extreme in their opinions and therefore untrainable or unable to accept criticism.

Third, the propensity for social introversion would be a problem in the cockpit. As I tell my clients, "Airlines interview First Officers, but they hire Captains." If someone had a social introversion problem, they may be likely not to speak up in an emergent situation. I rarely have seen this issue with pilots - but there are some people out there who fit this bill.

Just my guesses - I hold no license to practice medicine or any certifications for the MMPI - just certifications as a resume writer and interview coach! :)

Here is what the the process was like. Two day interview lots of computer testing and personality testing. Second day meet the psych and physical. After that three months at Delta and Five+ years on the street. Good luck to all and hurry up I need some seniority FINALLY!

Why flying? do you know that attorneys and Doctors don't have to go through this garbage when they interview? I know, i'm married to one. In fact, your "seniority" never ends, even if you leave your practice for a few years. You get hired (for the most part) at the pay you left at or higher. I remember the hiring stories some of the old timers used to tell me. Eastern airlines or Braniff recruited them out of Highschool, etc. Or were picked up out of the military for there SKILLS and not how well they "tell a story". Sheesh!

I agree with you, Lear, that flying is the only job where you are not rewarded (at least short-term) for your experience unless you are in the corporate pilot arena.

What tends to keep pilots (and other front-line employees) at an airline is seniority and pay. We used to refer to seniority as "the golden handcuffs." I know I could never go to work for another airline again - the thought of starting out at crappy pay and sitting reserve makes me ill!

Latest resources

Back