DAL International plan "struggling."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where'd you hear that, General?

I did hear something like that from an ALPA rep, along with knowing that we did announce taking AF's PHL to CDG run sometime this Fall. Face it, we are turning into Air France's "Republic Airlines" with our smaller fleet of 757s and 767s that may fit better during bad economic times....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Thank god we don't have people like you running corporations these days. Say what you will about management-types, but the entrepenuerial spirit is still alive in some folks. (Including our management team at DAL)

I don't know what it is about people like you who love to thrive on other peoples' misery, but I guess misery loves company. This country was founded on foresight and the can-do attitude. We will rise above this current downturn. It is really easy to sit there and chip away on the sidelines and mock, but I am hear to say that DAL will be well-positioned from this point forward to take advantage of an upswing. If an upswing doesn't exist then so beit. But I am not going to sit here and mock like you do.

Why don't you try doing something productive with yourself. If things get much worse you are going to find yourself in the food line too. Hopeflly it won't come to that, but the more you spout off about what a bad management team we have the more stupid you will appear when things turn around.

By the way, I think things aren't going to turn around a fast as everyone thinks. We now have better accounting practices and there is more transparency in the way we do business these days. I predict a slow-go of it for the next few years but we will be back in shape. I know that isn't what all the younger gotta-have-it-now generation wants, but it is the new reality and we are going to have to live with it.

Wow-That much "synergy" in one post!

You could be right-I genuinely hope you are. My point is that INTL is incredibly expensive. The overhead of INTL routes (landing fees, airport fees, ATC fees, MX, logistics of all sorts, etc, etc,) just outstrips every other operation any airline can do. People focus on RJs being as unprofitable-but they lose nowhere near as much money as a bunch of 767s flying across the world with a 60% load factor will.

My point is that DAL mgmt. relied on flawed logic from the start. RA and pals saw INTL as a way to make up for the domestic downturn. It is true that the signs of the massive recession did appear domestically at first, but any upper manager who is not smart enough to see that the U.S. economy is so inter-related with the rest of the world deserves to lose their job. Where the hell did they think all this INTL growth would come from?

I remember actually reading quotes from some of the upper-level DAL guys that they would profit enough from increased INTL operations to offset the high fuel prices and the effect these prices had on the domestic market. Really?

-Think about the logic here: RA and company were betting that they could charge huge fuel surcharges on INTL flights that domestic travelers couldn't pay. Consider further: If it becomes clear that people in the U.S. cannot afford to pay higher domestic prices because of a recession, why the hell would anyone with any sense believe that passengers would all of a sudden have huge amounts of extra cash to pay vastly higher INTL prices?

-Now, really think... Do these guys still deserve to be in charge? What kind of a future will they be able to build if they are this dumb?

-It really was a stupid plan. I stated that it would not work-and it hasn't. You can't expect good results from people who are clearly this inept.

Wow, all this intelligence, and the best in life you could do was an f/o position at ASA? I'll bet somewhere in corporate america, there's a $$billion corporation wishing they had you heading the company!
At least you got promoted to drive through at Wendy's, tanker clown!
Now, got to bed, it is way past your bed time!

Wow, all this intelligence, and the best in life you could do was an f/o position at ASA? I'll bet somewhere in corporate america, there's a $$billion corporation wishing they had you heading the company!
At least you got promoted to drive through at Wendy's, tanker clown!
Now, got to bed, it is way past your bed time!

-Whatever you think, champ. I told you it wouldn't work, and it is not working. I tell you now that if RA is still making similar errors in 3 years, you will be in BK or out of business.

-Look at the stock performance-Wall Street hates this merger, so I have plenty of company. People with a hell of a lot more money than both us us know where to invest-and it isn't in airlines which are making these obvious mistakes.

Here is where airline investors are putting their money-Look at the 1 yr return! (Just wait until they come to ATL and smack you down!)

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/ALGT

Hint:It ain't Song

Last edited:
Delta will be dumping about 100 RJs in the next couple of years, getting rid of the RJ dead weight should help.

-Whatever you think, champ. I told you it wouldn't work, and it is not working. I tell you now that if RA is still making similar errors in 3 years, you will be in BK or out of business.
By then you'll be 18 and probably not hanging out in the airport restrooms looking to make that "extra money" for favors.

-Look at the stock performance-Wall Street hates this merger, so I have plenty of company. People with a hell of a lot more money than both us us know where to invest-and it isn't in airlines which are making these obvious mistakes.

Airlines have never been a good place to invest $$ into.

Here is where airline investors are putting their money-Look at the 1 yr return! (Just wait until they come to ATL and smack you down!)

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/ALGT

Hint:It ain't Song

Your postings reek of fear. I understand Delta dumping hundreds of rj feed is making you nervous.
At least you have your bathroom gig and wendy's drive through to help you in your time of need! Bye bye tanker clown!

Delta will be dumping about 100 RJs in the next couple of years, getting rid of the RJ dead weight should help.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/150...9-earnings-call-transcript?source=bnet&page=9

Edward H. Bastian
Well, I think we have right now been taking delivery of the [76-seat] regional RJ as we’ve grounded some of the older DC930s. That is largely complete and we will not be taking any delivery of any additional 76-seat RJs as we move into the future. So that trade-off from the older DC9s into the two class regional jets is pretty much complete at this point.
Richard H. Anderson
And I would add to that that actually the trend will probably start going the other way as we begin having a number of regional jet retirements that start commencing -- some have commenced and we’ll have more next year so you’ll actually see the 50-seat jet count at Delta continue to decline.

Latest resources

Back