• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medeco

SQUIB
Associated Press
Delta CEO: Job Cuts Rest on Concessions
Tuesday November 4, 7:12 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta's Leo Mullin Says Job Cuts Possible if Airline Doesn't Get Wage Concessions From Pilots

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines chief executive Leo Mullin said the nation's third-largest carrier, which has already cut 16,000 jobs in two years, could eventually be forced to lay off more workers if management fails to get deep wage concessions from pilots.
In an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press, Mullin stressed that the Atlanta-based airline is not currently planning more job cuts, but he said job cuts may be inevitable if pilots refuse a decrease in their pay. Mullin said the pay cuts are necessary to reduce costs and be in line with competitors' spending.

Delta's pilots -- among the highest paid in the industry -- have said they want a contract extension as part of any discussion of salary cuts.

"If we don't get this we will be a hobbled organization in 2005 and 2006," Mullin said. "At the present time, I don't think we'll be a bankrupt organization. I think we would continue to contract."

Mullin said that contraction could include job cuts.

"I'm saying this because if you were to extend the point where it became your only alternative, then you'd do it," Mullin said. "But at this time, that's not what we're thinking about. We're thinking we're going to get some help from the pilots, and that we will somehow find our way through this in a way that does not involve that."

He added, "But if in fact we continue to have a financial crisis, then obviously you'd have to consider further cost reductions and further contractions."

Mullin's comments highlight the high-stakes nature of the contract negotiations that resumed last week between Delta and its pilots union. Talks had broken down in July.

American Airlines, the world's biggest carrier, flirted with bankruptcy before winning concessions from workers earlier this year. And regional carrier Midway Airlines is being liquidated after pilot concessions fell through. Until this point, Delta had been hesitant to spell out would happen if it doesn't get concessions of its own.

"We are at a disadvantage in that we don't have the weaponry for negotiation that bankruptcy represents," Mullin said.

Mullin indicated he would be open to the contract extension request if the money is right.

"I'm open to anything. I have not put any restrictions," he said. "If people want to talk about what else is involved here -- work rule changes, contract extensions, whatever else anybody else might raise -- I'll talk about anything as long as I can see the dollars and cents in terms of a reformed cost structure moving forward."

Ray Neidl, an airline analyst with Blaylock and Partners in New York, said he's not surprised by Mullin's comments. He said Delta's unit costs are at least 20 percent higher than its peers and 40 percent higher than discount carriers.

"Delta's in no immediate danger, but down the road if they don't get the cost cuts in line with competitors, they will do a slow death a la Pan Am," Neidl said.

Mullin said there are signs of progress in the pilot negotiations, but he would not elaborate. Delta initially asked for pilots to agree to a 22 percent wage cut and to give back a 4.5 percent raise they received in May and a similar one due next May.

A new proposal was offered to pilots last week, but the company and the union have refused to provide details.

A spokeswoman for the Air Line Pilots Association did not immediately return a call Tuesday seeking comment.

On other topics, Mullin said Delta's customer service has lagged following the previous job cuts. He said that is something the airline plans to work on in the months ahead.

Mullin also said he regretted the controversy about the compensation of top executives earlier this year. It was revealed that, amid the layoffs, a select group of executives had received millions in company payments to a program to protect their pensions.

After the uproar, Delta canceled the final payment to participants of its supplemental executive retirement plan and discontinued the program, which would have been fully funded at $65 million by next year.

Mullin said the pension protection payments were needed in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"It's kind of like you had to be there to know what the heck was going on; we were in the middle of a crisis and those decisions looked appropriate at the time, and maybe they didn't look quite appropriate a couple of years later," he said. "But that's 20/20 hindsight. And all I can do is sort of recognize that it created an issue within the company and I certainly have done my best to show that I'm sorry the issue got created and to back it by taking some actions."

Mullin said he feels good that the company has been able to avoid bankruptcy.

"Ordinarily, one wouldn't define success at the absence of bankruptcy," Mullin said. "But in the time period since Sept. 11, that really is a characterization that has had to apply."

This makes you think that he really cares about people keeping their jobs, when the fact is he is playing a PR game with the pilots.

Why is it ok for him to to this while the pilots to sit mum? If he wants the pilots to take a concession then he should stop playing to the public with a low blow like this.

I do like his quote about being "open to anything, if it makes the company dollars and cents" I can't imagine why talks broke down before, if that was true this summer.

I think this makes the company look weak in terms of negotiations, it seems to me that the pilots can get most of what they want long term, if they present several good long term solutions.

Just make sure you get your furloughs back.

Re: Let's hear your reactions to this!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jarhead
Associated Press
Delta CEO: Job Cuts Rest on Concessions
Tuesday November 4, 7:12 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta's Leo Mullin Says Job Cuts Possible if Airline Doesn't Get Wage Concessions From Pilots

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines chief executive Leo Mullin said the nation's third-largest carrier, which has already cut 16,000 jobs in two years, could eventually be forced to lay off more workers if management fails to get deep wage concessions from pilots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical management tactic. Divide and Conquer. Make the worker bees think that it's those greedy pilots who want them to lose their job.

quote:

Delta's pilots -- among the highest paid in the industry -- have said they want a contract extension as part of any discussion of salary cuts.

More propaganda. I love the way they drop in the "highest paid in the industry" bit.

quote:

Mullin said that contraction could include job cuts.

"I'm saying this because if you were to extend the point where it became your only alternative, then you'd do it," Mullin said. "But at this time, that's not what we're thinking about. We're thinking we're going to get some help from the pilots, and that we will somehow find our way through this in a way that does not involve that."

I can hear Mullin say it now, "just in case the workers didn't get it the first time, let's remind them that the PILOTS are threatening them".

quote:
He added, "But if in fact we continue to have a financial crisis, then obviously you'd have to consider further cost red! uctions and further contractions."

He tells the truth, but fails to state the cause of the crisis, in hopes that the now scared workers will just assume that it's those dastardly pilots.

quote:
Until this point, Delta had been hesitant to spell out would happen if it doesn't get concessions of its own.

"We are at a disadvantage in that we don't have the weaponry for negotiation that bankruptcy represents," Mullin said.

"First we demonize those dirty pilots so that everyone else hates them, THEN we threaten them with bankruptcy. That should scare them into giving us what we want. ", says the management brain trust. In the mean time, SWA is taking measures to control costs (closing some telephone res centers) and they are taking care of the workers that will be affected. Guess which employee group is more happier and more productive.

quote:

On other topics, Mullin said Delta's customer service has lagged following ! the previous job cuts. He said that is something the airline plans to work on in the months ahead.

Who would ever guess that cutting jobs would result in worker moral and poor worker moral would result in poor customer service? I guess they must have missed that part of MBA school.

quote:
Mullin also said he regretted the controversy about the compensation of top executives earlier this year. It was revealed that, amid the layoffs, a select group of executives had received millions in company payments to a program to protect their pensions.

After the uproar, Delta canceled the final payment to participants of its supplemental executive retirement plan and discontinued the program, which would have been fully funded at $65 million by next year.

Mullin said the pension protection payments were needed in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

So Leo said that the payments were needed, did he? Well I guess that just settles it. Mr. Mullin said that those managment pension protection payments were needed, and that's it. I wonder why the writer didn't include a reminder about executive salaries like he did the pilot salaries? If the business writers treated management like pilots, it would have been written something like this: Mullin also said he regretted the controversy about the compensation of top executives, executives who are compensated at a rate that equals twenty times the earnings of the average Delta workers, earlier this year.

The real question is this, will DALPA be able to negotiate realistic wage scales in this environment? If management was truly employee friendly, (and if I was a Delta pilot) I would be agreeable to some kind of renegotiated pay package as long as management took comensurate cuts. As long as they continue to play the "blame the pilots", I would say, Kiss my grits.

regards,
enigma

This is a classic case of negotiating in the media. Things are starting to look better--the economy is on the rise (which means more passengers will travel because they will have more money), gas prices can only come down from these latest highs, and passengers are returning. The busy holiday season is around the corner, and then our best seasons---Spring and Summer--are next. But, Leo needs those cuts.... So, he will tell the other workers that they MIGHT actually lose their jobs, not just take a small paycut. Hmmmm. That should rile them up---get them to talk to the pilots on the crew bus, give them a mean stare. Classic. How about management also getting a paycut? No?

What would management do with a large paycut from our pilots? I would hope pay off some debt (like the debt incurred by buying over $1 billion in RJs this year alone), but they will probably buy more RJs. (I haven't heard anything else about possible 100 seaters....) Do you think our pilots want to help buy more RJs and have other people fly them? Probably not.

So, what are the alternatives? Well, we can pay them off now and have some sort of a contract extension, and then watch things possibly get better and watch management get huge bonuses. We can also say no, and then finally get contract talks done by 2007 (2 years after starting). How could that help? Well, the current difference between our pay scale and AA's is around 30% difference I believe. But, that will decrease as time goes on---I believe AA gets a 9% raise next year alone. By the time we settle on payrates in 2007---we might only have a 10-15% advantage--and we would negotiate from that instead of the current 30% difference. So waiting might actually be better for us. Are we still watching this financial situation closely? Yes, our Delta MEC still has a team reviewing this on a constant basis.

This will be interesting, but we do not HAVE TO do anything, and Leo acknowledged this. We all should have to "share the pain" somewhat----not necessarily have other people "lose their jobs" because of us. We all want to help the company---but not be taken for a ride on the shame train. (also known as MARTA --the bus system----in ATL)

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Talks broke down this summer over a couple of basic issues...one of which is that mgt must back off their $65M protected pension. Mgt wants to bury this issue. DALPA agrees to be part of the solution but pilot concessions are not the ONLY solution. As the industry atempts a slow climb out, DAL mgt realizes their case gets weaker and weaker.

Other issues to think about....why would Delta recall the 250 pilots from FM II but leave 200 unassigned. DAL is looking to save every penny it can but will pay 200 pilots a lot of money to do nothing ?? My guess...fear of a slam dunk in the FM II grievance...so recall the pilots and take your lumps in a smaller punch.

Those of us who are in the FM I crowd are watching, waiting, as hostages.

Spanky2,

I don't think Dalpa will allow management to bury the pension issue. It realy was a slap in the face to all of us. They take, and want us to give. As far as those FMII guys, I think they will have enough seats for them as time progresses----the latest bid gave the first call backs plenty of MD88 slots, and even some SLC 737-300 slots. The rest of the returning pilots will get something eventually. Also, Dalpa is still fighting for them in arbitration---trying to get them back pay for their "illegal" furlough---which shows that they are still fighting for their interests---not preparing them again for slaughter. That would be hypocritical in my view. Now, with respect to the FMI people like yourself, I hope that you come back ASAP. I think our MEC Chair said that Dalpa would not favor one group over the other, and that includes you. I don't know how long you will be out, but I think Dalpa will do everything it can to get you back into SOME cockpit eventually. If that means an RJ initially---that might be the case for awhile. Anything like that would have to be negotiated----and of course would have to BENEFIT the others----(the RJ operators)---also. I just can't see Dalpa leaving you out to dry--and I would NOT support anything like that. I want more of you behind me on the line---that gives me job security---and I will not be satisfied until TBKANE is flying for mainline again. Hang in there.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Seven Days ago Leo said this

Delta CEO sees return to profits in '05
Delta Air Lines Inc. CEO Leo Mullin told Bloomberg News that the airline is targeting 2005 for a return to profitability.

Mullin said a significant amount of progress is expected to be achieved in 2004. And while a lot of cost restructuring lies ahead, the airline expects that cost changes already made and improvements in the economy will result in a 2005 profit.

Delta has been struggling to rein in expenses and boost travel demand since 2001, when the airline industry was sent spiraling by the terrorist attacks.

The airline also is working to renegotiate contracts with pilots. Mullin told Bloomberg that Delta's excess pilot compensation relative to American Airlines is about $1 billion a year.

Delta is predicting a third-quarter 2003 loss of $275 million.

The Atlanta-based airline operates its second-largest hub from the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Wanna start a rumor? Gordon Bethune wants to buy Delta and put all the Delta pilots under our contract - that'll settle the Delta dilemma once and for all. Continental doesn't have the money to pull it off now, but Gordon has a bunch of buddies on Wall Street that believe in him (like Chase Manhattan) enough to throw money at the issue.

Congress won't lift a finger to stop it - free enterprise, y'know - the republicans are in charge and bigger is better. The code-share was just the first step.

All that said, I've got my tongue WAY in my cheek... I hope it doesn't happen, but ya never know...

CALFO: As long as you guys put it in writing that you agree to a staple with no seat protections ALPA should be able to implement its merger and fragmentation policy without having to change the Constitution and Bylaws again.

Hostage,

Well, if we wait and negotiate it finally in 2007, our two pay rates will be closer than they are now. Why negotiate now for a paycut, and then get another one later on? You guys really were hammered, but you were backed into a corner.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

GL,

"If that means an RJ initially---that might be the case for awhile. Anything like that would have to be negotiated----and of course would have to BENEFIT the others----(the RJ operators)---also."

As a pilot for an RJ operator I would be open to anything that got mainline furloughees back to work sooner and did not harm my pilot group. I don't even need to benefit from any such scenario, just don't harm us in the process. I would even consider a modestly uncomfortable short term scenario provided there were quantifiable and solid benefits in the immediate future.

Caveman

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back