Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL350

WAR EAGLE!!!!
I have an interview with ASA coming up. Is there any reason to question job security with ASA while DAL is contemplating this move? Most of my background is in corp. aviation so I know little about the relationship between DAL and ASA. Any info on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

FL350

I wouldn't sweat that. Though DAL BK looms and ASA is in negotiations, this is a good place to be right now. Dont' blow this oppurtunity by worrying about things you can't control. Good luck!

That is a good way to think about it---we are merely pawns. Very true.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

Just get in... the sooner the better!. Don't try to predict the future of any airline, everything in this industry is uncertain. The only certain thing is that all predictions will be wrong!!!

if you try to outsmart the airline business, then you'll end up kicking yourself in the arse. and you'll have a ton of hindsight to go with it!

Do what I'm doing and bail out of the airline business when you can (I take it you are corporate--you might consider staying there). Go somewhere that generates its own revenue (like a Fractional perhaps?). My company has whored itself out to *THREE* codeshares that are on the brink of bankruptcy. **THREE**! The fourth barely averted it.

Yeah, I know there are no *sure* bets, but you can tilt the odds in your favor some. I guess in your case, even if ASA gets squashed by a DAL bankruptcy, you will be padding your resume' so not all will be lost.

It is really hard to say how the impending DAL bankruptcy will play-out here at ASA. We could be sold now or later. If we are sold, it might not be such a bad thing (we could end-up with more bargining power or bigger aircraft as an independent company again).

Or, we could all be out of a job. If that happens, where would we all go? A lot of people I know at ASA (myself included) are already planning for life without aviation. That is a smart thing to do no matter where you work in the avaition business.

I was a corporate pilot once. I worked for a large company with much better pay and benefits than I have now at ASA. If that is what matters most to you, then stay corporate, you will never get rich at ASA, and you will probably never be able to move to DAL or one of the former majors (they may not hire again for 10 or more years, then all of their squadron buddies will get the hook-up anyway). If you really want to work in the airline environment then come on over to ASA as fast as you can. I don't regret it one bit. I like the professionalism, known schedules, and the better quality of pilots I work with here over what I experienced in my corporate job (I am not bashing all corporate pilots, just the ones I happened to work with at brand X).

If you ask what is going to happen to ASA, also look at what has happened to the regional operators that fly for US Air and United. These two companies have already exposed their partners to a Bankrupcy. Before the sky falls at Delta, it has fell in the recent past, which may be a much better gauge at what will happen. Reading a speculative post may or may not reflect the true outcome.

Latest resources

Back