DA20F-5 skinny

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SonnyD

Looking for info on the -5BR mod to the Falcon 20. I flew the -2D2 a few years back, so that's my baseline.

Most interested in range, initial altitude and Mach number.

Does the higher MGTOW come with the mod, or is it optional?

How does the mod affect BOW/CG?

Will it do coast-to-coast every yucky winter day of the year? The long way?

Reliability info also appreciated.

Great forum; please feel free to post BBQ info AFTER the Falcon info.

ok, I haven't flown a -5 Falcon 20 BUT I have heard some pretty reliable info on them.

Typical cruise Mach 0.80 (as opposed to the wonderful 0.72 of the 2D2 version)

Typically cruising at FL370, FL390 & FL 410 (as opposed to the comfortable cruise levels of 310, 330 and if you were really lucky 350 in the 2D2 version)

Range is about 4.5 hours at Mach 0.80 (roughly 2,000 NM) as opposed to about 3.0 hours at Mach 0.72 (roughly 1,200 NM).

I don't think you'd make it from the East coast to the West Coast in the winter. You could probably always make the West Coast to the East Coast in the Winter with a decent tailwind.

Again, this info is hear-say... but should at least give you an idea of the differences.

I don't miss the 2D2 Falcon 20...

FalconCapt is right on the money. With the aircraft I fly I have never seen FL410. We typically cruise at FL350 or FL370. On occasion if we are heavy and the temps upstairs are approximently ISA +8 or higher we won't make FL370 right away. Also the only time we will see FL390 is long haul trips with about 2 hours to go.

With respect to speeds we regularly see between .79-.81 depending on temp at high speed cruise. But will sure fly going down hill.

Range is about what FalconCapt said...4 hours at MCT and I've seen just shy of 5 at LRC...with about 2000# remaining in both cases.

Any other questions just PM me.

Happy flying!

PS- the high gross weight increase is a SB...I think it is mainly a paperwork issue. Increase max t/o to 30325#...never have seen that weight with full fuel and pax...and we have a high BOW airplane.

Last edited:
Now that would make a serious machine! If already has pretty good perf numbers..all things considered..but an extra 300-500 # of thrust would make a heck of an airplane. Then it might just climb at altitude better. A grandma can nit a sweater between FL310 and FL370...hehe

Happy flying!

Yeah, the new series of engines (-40 & -60) have a LOT more high altitude thrust and such...

On the 50EX they say it has 10% more climb Thrust and 24% more cruise thrust over a straight -3 powered Falcon 50...

Thats a pretty heafty difference. At MGTOW we can get to FL410 in about 23 minutes (ISA).

731-50's

I read about eight months ago that Honeywell is working on a new 731-50 mod (6000lb thrust, like the -60) for the Falcon 20 and 900 to include nacelles and TR's. Ought to go straight to FL420, I'd say. (if I recall correctly, that is the altitude limitation on the DA20)

To all who replied - Thanks a bunch. This board pretty much kicks ass, nice folks. Sure do like their BQQ, though.....

Last edited:
The Falcon 20F-5BR is a cool airplane.

But Consider this.....

An early model Falcon 50 can be had for about the same price. You can do everything and more in the 50 versus the 20 retrofit.

Here is a Falcon 50 for under $5M.

Falcon 50 s/n 18

Not that I recommend that airplane, I know nothing about it. But it shows that a 50 can be had for a descent price. Most of the early ones can be had for less than $10M these days. And with the used aircraft market how it is right now, good negotiations can make that price even less.

Just something to consider.
JetPilot500

Re: 731-50's

SonnyD said:
I read about eight months ago that Honeywell is working on a new 731-50 mod (6000lb thrust, like the -60) for the Falcon 20 and 900 to include nacelles and TR's.

I think the new -50 engine is going to be rated for 4,900 lbs. I haven't quite figured this one out since the -60 is rated at 5,000 lbs. Why not just use a -60? Unless of course the -50 info was misprinted in one of the aviation rags...

I think the new -50 engine is going to be rated for 4,900 lbs. I haven't quite figured this one out since the -60 is rated at 5,000 lbs.

Yep, you got it right. Operator error on this end. Thanks for the reply.

Latest resources

Back