D-RVSM altitudes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
Why, you upgrading to the space shuttle? Do people really fly at or above FL410? That's high!

On the Ultra and Falcon, trips over about 1+30 we'll start at FL410 or 430, lower if the winds are more favorable. You'd be surprised at the fuel flow difference between FL350 and FL430!

As for getting direct anywhere....hardly. Out west (less traffic?) the folks at ARTCC are more "giving" when it comes to direct routings. I've always wondered how, say, Seattle center will give me direct Atlanta, but Atlanta will never give me direct Seattle :confused:

2000Flyer

minitour said:
Why, you upgrading to the space shuttle? Do people really fly at or above FL410? That's high!
I have heard aircraft descend from upwards of FL510! If memory serves me correctly it was a NASA flight.

2000flyer said:
Seattle center will give me direct Atlanta,
2000Flyer
Ah 2000flyer, ready to copy. You're now cleared direct Rome and the Rome Two arrival Atlanta.:D

Last edited:
Daveman said:
Ah 2000flyer, ready to copy. You're now cleared direct Rome and the Rome Two arrival Atlanta.:D

Ain't that the truth!!! ;) But you forgot, "hold at Rome as published, expect further clearance tomorrow!" :D

minitour said:
Quite a lot of business jets are certified for flight above FL410 and will do so to avoid traffic, winds, rough rides, etc. The Citation Ultra/Encore is certified to FL450 and I believe the Citation X and some Lears are certified to FL510.

Luftpost said:
I have heard aircraft descend from upwards of FL510! If memory serves me correctly it was a NASA flight.
What's the old joke? U-2 pilot (either military, CIA, or NASA) requests FL600. Incredulous controller, not knowing what type of aircraft he's dealing with, asks sarcastically if he can get up to FL 600. Pilot replies, "You don't understand. I'm not trying to get up to FL 600, I'm trying to get DOWN to FL 600!"

Seriously, can a non-RVSM aircraft stay under FL290 until it can climb to FL430, then climb directly to FL430? Or does even climbing through RVSM airspace require you to be RVSM-certified?

mzaharis said:
Seriously, can a non-RVSM aircraft stay under FL290 until it can climb to FL430, then climb directly to FL430? Or does even climbing through RVSM airspace require you to be RVSM-certified?

Sure it can. It does NOT need to be RVSM capable in order to climb or decent through RVSM airspace.

Weather or not traffic and/or ATC workload will permit someone to be able to climb unrestricted for 14000 feet (yea, right) is a completely different matter. If it were me, I sure wouldn't count on it, especailly in congested airspace, and I would expect ATC personel to NOT go out of their way to make it happen ('cept for some Mil. OPS and Life Gurard).

minitour said:
We fly up at FL410 almost every trip, especially if we're going to be up there more then a couple hours. Aircraft's certified to FL450.

minitour said:
I am almost always at FL410 or FL430 (even FL450)... Usually smooth, less traffic (read direct routing) and more efficient!

[b said:
ultrarunner][/b]So is this what we're looking at next month:

Odd east, even west

Yup... thats it, and to expand further for the other poster asking...

FL280 W
FL290 E
FL300 W
FL310 E (used to be W)
FL320 W
FL330 E
FL340 W
FL350 E (Used to be W)
FL360 W
FL370 E
FL380 W
FL390 E (Used to be W)
FL400 W
FL410 E
FL430 W
FL450 E
FL470 W
FL490 E
FL510 W

Guitar Guy said:
Quite a lot of business jets are certified for flight above FL410 and will do so to avoid traffic, winds, rough rides, etc. The Citation Ultra/Encore is certified to FL450 and I believe the Citation X and some Lears are certified to FL510.
Falcon 2000 Certified to FL470
Falcon 50EX Certified to FL490
Falcon 900EX Certified to FL510

Gulfstream IV Certified to FL450
Gulfstream V Certified to FL510

Global Express Certified to FL510

Lear 31 Certified to FL510
Lear 60 Certified to FL510

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back