Cutting costs if you own a twin?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

So I may be the new owner or part-owner of a light twin.

What are some things I can and cannot do to cut costs?

I hear so much contradictory information so I'm looking for ideas.

I know I can't put an ad out offering to fly people around for the cost of their seat. I can however charge someone for the cost of their seat if they happen to meet me and I've already planned a trip to the destination.

Just looking for some good, legal, ideas.

Lastly, this would be my first time flying without a hobbs. Do you just log the time between engine start and shutdown?

Cutting cost??????You just opened up a hugh hole to throw all your money into. I hope that you are an A+P and IA because you will be throwing a bunch of money at hydraulic lines, extra spark plugs, brakes, and the list goes on and on. Twins are very expensive...I know...... I used to own/operate 3 PA-31-350's, 3 Aztecs, 3 C-206's , two PA-32's, and a C-182, all on Part 135. The twins will cost you about 3 times that of a heavy single. Enjoy the multi-time.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Shut down one engine.......Instant fuel savings!!!!:D

Tried that... airplane became an expensive glider.

As was mentioned before, it's pretty dang dough to "cut costs" in any airplane, let alone a twin. Don't be tempted to skimp on maintenance--it'll come back for you when you go to sell the airplane.

The easiest way to decrease the cos of your airplane would be to find an A&P who wants to fly the airplane--then you can swap flying for wrenching.

Finding people/passengers who can help with the operating costs: good luck. You probably already know all the people who will be willing to ride with you and probably know those who will be willing to put up some money to fly with you.

Sorry, but owning an airplane can't be cheap. It may cost you a few hundred bucks to have something like a fuel line replaced, but the alternative is worrying about those fuel lines some night while you're in the clouds getting rocked about by the bumps...

Have fun with it though. Seriously, once you've paid for the hangar, insurance, and the airplane is sitting there ready to go, all you have to think of is gas money (at least until something breaks)--and they sure are fun to fly when you aren't thinking of the arm and a leg it is costing you. Let yourself figure that out later :)

Dan

I think the only way you can trim the costs of owning a twin is to buy a model that doesn't cost as much as the others to operate.

Pick a plane that was maintained well in the first place.

Buy one that has good resale value and buy it for a steal.

Do all your own maintenance.

Don't get one with a lot of expensive AD's. If you get hit with something like a turbocharged Cessna exhaust AD, a wingspar AD and some other expensive re-occuring AD's like on your props or something, you could wind up being further ahead to slice it and sell it for salvage aluminum.

Also, don't buy a duke or a pressurized navajo, no matter how pretty it looks in the hanger and don't get a twin with engines you can't overhaul...like the TSIO-470's.

After that, all you can hope to do is get some really good time past your TBO...and take it easy on your plane so it lasts longer.

Vic,
If you haven't already bought it, think it over again. Talk to some owners of the same vintage you are contemplating. I bought a nice IFR equipped, low time engined Aztec last Summer and have enjoyed it. I will tell you that the maintenance is high. Examples are new fuel bladder ($1,300 each and it has 4 of them, $900 for torque steering tube, $800 generator and regulator, etc).

If you absolutely must own a light twin, find a partner or beter yet, 2. Also, check the insurance to see if you are insurable with only 300 hours. For me and my partner we pay almost $9000 for commercial insurance (instruction and rental) and before we did this about $4000 per year for personal insurance.

What kind of twin are you contemplating anyway?

Good luck!

I personally don't really charge people for flying with me - even if they're going somewhere. It's typically not a whole lot cheaper than flying commercially, and most people don't think that flying is as cool as we think it is. Sometimes they'll buy luch or dinner or something, but that's about it.

I'd focus on learning as much about the plane as possible, and finding someone who knows how to fly it well. Learn how to baby the engine. Learn how to land it properly so you won't eat through brake pads as quickly - that kind of thing.

The same rules apply for the sharing of expenses as in any other non-certificated operation. There is very little you can legally "charge" for.

I'd rethink this unless you are very well off and can afford the expenses. AOPA may be able to help you estimate insurance and maintenance costs. If I win their commanche this year, I'm taking an A&P course right away. I figure it'll pay for itself in just two years. :D

Latest resources

Back