Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mwwest2004

Hello,

I recently flew on a private flight from the Bahamas to South Louisiana. We were told we had to stop at FLL to go through customs, then continue on to our destination, because there was not a permanent customs agent at our destination. Since then, using flightaware.com, I have noticed many flights from foreign locations flying directly into the same airport. What is different about their situation? Is there a special arrangement that can be made to have a customs agent there upon arrival?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the response...

How do you go about doing that? I know they have US customs in the commercial terminal, because that's where you go through on the way back flying commercial, but that is not the case at the FBOs. Plus, I have seen flights come in from Mexico and Brazil, is it possible to be "pre-cleared" there? Also, how do you get an "over fly"?

Thanks.

sometimes a us customs officer will meet your airplane over at the fbo. you would have to call the specific customs office of where you want to clear inbound and ask them if this would be okay. Next you would need an over flight permit, not sure how to get one, but as far as i now an over flight permit is acquired once by the operator and then needs to be updated for different pilots. i assume us customs & boarder control can help you with that as well.

Thanks for the response...

How do you go about doing that? I know they have US customs in the commercial terminal, because that's where you go through on the way back flying commercial, but that is not the case at the FBOs. Plus, I have seen flights come in from Mexico and Brazil, is it possible to be "pre-cleared" there? Also, how do you get an "over fly"?

Thanks.

That is correct. It is issued by the U.S. Customs/ Homeland Security. We have an overfly permit from Mexico to the U.S. on one of our airplanes. Pilots must be listed on the overfly permit. It is only for the aircraft listed on the permit. A list of airports to be used must also be listed (such as alternates in case of bad weather). If I remember correctly at least one passenger must be on the aircraft that is listed on the overfly permit (it has been a while since I used it so I may be wrong about that). The permit must be updated yearly. Hope this helps.

They could have an overflight permit, this allows a specific airplane to land at pre determined airports, if they do not have this then they would have to stop at the first point of entry, so in your case FLL makes sense.

Latest resources

Back