Customs/Border Patrol Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freighthumper

Anyone have any info on when or how someone not currently employed by the department of customs apply for a pilot position with them?
Thanks

Last edited:
I just did some recurrent training with a Border Patrol Agent who was taking a check ride to become a BP pilot. He told me they do not hire from outside as pilots. Must be an agent and then apply. BTW, BP is attempting to add an additional 250 pilots from their own ranks. Originally required a Commercial Instrument with 250 hours. Now, since there are not enough qualified pilots from within the BP, they have lowered it to a Private. The BP will train to Commercial and instrument. This all according to this agent. They fly C-182 and Super Cubs until the get 1500 hrs and then train in the helos as well.

They fly Citation II's and get paid very well. I think 4 weeks vacation.
You do not have to be an agent already. And you can retire in 20 years.
I train with their pilots at Flight Safety. You have to live at a border or coastal city. Like New Orleans, Houston, etc. Do an internet search and see what you can find.

Good Luck!

The Border Patrol is adding additional pilots. First from inside the BP, then from within Federal Law enforcement, then the street. 1500 total time and under 37 years of age (for any federal law enforcement job). Go to www.usajobs.gov and search for jobs in the 2181 series. Good luck.

They were on the site but I believe you have to have either prior government position(aka displaced federal worker) or prior service. When you set up your resume with USA jobs they will E-mail you all positions that YOU qualify for in your resume. Search job code# 2181 that is the one for pilot positions.

Hope it helps

Jobear

Border Patrol and Customs each have their own aviation units. Border Patrol hires pilots from within and as stated above, requires only a minimal amount of flight experience. However you are required to have two years of Border Patrol Agent time before you can even become a pilot for them. Legacy Customs on the other hand will hire someone into a pilot position with no prior federal experience. The minimums for Customs are 1,500 hours total time and 500 hours multi engine (helicopter time counts for the ME). The average new hire has much more time with either a police background or military. Both are great jobs and the pay is not bad.

And if your REALLY lucky you can get stuck in Eagle Pass or Del Rio!

:)

But yeah sounds like a great job.

Wankel

Latest resources

Back