• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wang Wei

Good Son of Huzhou People
Opinions please -

I'm considering leaving the military and taking a sim instructor job for 2 years before applying to the majors (until the kid starts college). Obviously this means 2 years not actively flying professionally.

How would this effect how the Major's view me in terms of currency?

Well, it will make you non-current, now won't it? However, I'll tell you this: I've got all the currency in the world and nobody gives half a flying ********************, so maybe it's not as important as some would have you believe.

Opinions please -

I'm considering leaving the military and taking a sim instructor job for 2 years before applying to the majors (until the kid starts college). Obviously this means 2 years not actively flying professionally.

How would this effect how the Major's view me in terms of currency?

Do the airlines still ask you how many hours you have in the last 12 months? That used to be on all the applications. Becoming a life long sim instructor could be a better quality of life....

more to the point, here's what the SW website say's about currency as a minimum requirement:

Currency: Experience must include actively flying two of the last five years.

So if I'm never actually in the air for 2 years I still meet the minimum requirement. In the meantime I'm instructing in the '130J sim, along with practicing IFR approaches when the sim in unscheduled. I would be leaving the military as an evaluator pilot, 2700 hours.

How would I be viewed compared to someone transitioning directly out of the military?

And I agree there a some clear quality of life benefits to being a sim instructor, but I'm one of those fools who just has to fly.

Latest resources

Back