Currency vs Proficiency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

Another great but not so great experience.

My night currency "expired" a couple of weeks ago just before I was going home to "see" the wife for a few weeks. Well, I had 2 landings about 4 weeks ago so I knew I only needed one to get "current" for night time but anyway... (stay with me...it gets better...not much, but it does get better)

I finally convinced her to fly with me, so we scheduled the plane and went out...I got ahold of ground and told them my plan (taxi for a takeoff, teardrop back to the opposite runway, full stop) and traffic was light enough that it was no problem, so I did that and now I'm "current" ... woo hoo (still there?)

We decided to go for dinner to a pilot controlled field about 30nm away, so off we go and it's pretty good VFR stuff so no problems and I find the airport, right where I left it.

So I'm announcing and checking for traffic and I got the lights on...I'm thinking "self, make this smooth since she hates flying anyway".

First landing was not so smooth; second landing (first with her) a little not so smoother...we departed IFR and came back, got some vectors direct (which was nice) and the visual (which was nicer)...third landing not so smooth there either...

What the hell???

My day landings were fine! I've been doing really well with them (to pat my own back)...

But night stuff...eh...

Not that it was a painful jolt of "hello ground" or anything to damage the plane, but still...pi*ses mme off...

Anyway...

The moral of the story? Current doesn't mean proficient.

-mini

The moral of the story? Current doesn't mean proficient.
Ummm I think you can apply that to anything in life.

For example in my industry ( Information Technology ) I'm not going to take some person off the street with the only experience they have had is a MCSE and let him loose on my network! Sure he has a cert but no experience, that would be like letting loose the Tasmanian Devil in the wire room.

Styles said:
Ummm I think you can apply that to anything in life.

For example in my industry ( Information Technology ) I'm not going to take some person off the street with the only experience they have had is a MCSE and let him loose on my network! Sure he has a cert but no experience, that would be like letting loose the Tasmanian Devil in the wire room.
Oh Lord....deliver me from the MCSE. As to the OP I made a semi-carrier landing the other dusk and said "wheeeeeee!" :) The guy I was with said, "Don't do that (the wheeeeeeee) with a student.

Edit.....maybe it was "Whooooooops"

rumpletumbler said:
Oh Lord....deliver me from the MCSE. As to the OP I made a semi-carrier landing the other dusk and said "wheeeeeee!" :) The guy I was with said, "Don't do that (the wheeeeeeee) with a student.

Edit.....maybe it was "Whooooooops"
You sure it was not WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :eek:

rumpletumbler said:
haha....I think that might require the induction of an alcoholic beverage or three to derive the full benefit. :)
Tell me when and i'll bring the Guinness and Scotch :D

Latest resources

Back