Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

It will roll

It just wont be prettty.
Hey folks. Traveling to London Gatwick this week for a few days, never been to Europe. Wondering where is the best place to exchange american $ for the Pound. Better to do this in CLT/PHL (USA) prior to flight or wait till I get over the pond and do it there? Ill be exchanging more than "a little bit" so the best rate will make a difference. Thanks in advance.

Easiest way to exchange $$ is to wait until you get to LGW. Go to an ATM.! Best exchange rate. It works better if you have an ATM card which refunds other ATM fees. I recommend checking out nbank.com

Just get 50 to a hundred pounds. I personally like to pay for everything with a credit card.

Let your credit card company know you will be travelling internationally.

I also recommend to make a copy of your first page of your passport. If you lose your passport, it will make your life a lot easier with this copy.

Last edited:
The benefit of using a credit card is that you pretty much automatically get the best exchange rate for that day, however, some credit cards charge up to 1% for an "international exchange fee".

I'm not sure if it's brand specific (VISA vs MasterCard), or card specific (say, Capital One vs Providian vs Discover), but I've been hit with this fee on 2 Visa cards but none on my MasterCards.

In the last 6 years, I've been overseas in the so many times I've lost count, and I've never needed a currency exchange (or travellers checks)- my ATM and credit cards worked just fine.

The change kiosks in airports and on the street charge very high fees for changing money. Denmark is the worst I've experienced . . . I think I paid something like 7-10% "Fee" for changing money. It was really outrageous, but then again somebody has to fund the welfare state . . . might as well be the foreigners.

I want to second the idea of using your credit card rather than cash. I've used visa with out any extra fees, so it isn't a visa thing. You do get the best exchange rate, or rather you get the most up to date exchange rate.

One more idea for ya. If you have a visa debit card you can go to any bank and ask for a cash advance just like you would with a traditional credit card, only there are no extra fees this way... zip,zero,nada! However, the ATM serves the same purpose and is much quicker so you can have more time to spend those new Euros at the pub!

Latest resources

Back