Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Curious, what do the Cargo and ACMI guys do for food enroute?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We had 4 pilots on our last flight. The caterer only had 15 meals and asked if that was OK, or should he call and get the required 16th meal. We told him no problem, as we had tonnes of sandwiches and fruit, and some other stuff, in addtion to the 15 meals.

cliff
SYD

With our company it all depends on what your transporting on the main deck. ex. If it's lobster and asparagus, take the crash ax from the cockpit and then you bust open a pallet and take enough lobsters for the crew. In the mean time have the water boiling in the teapot. When nice and hot drop a lobster in it. Do one at a time. Put asparagus in the oven for 10 minutes with salt / pepper and some butter. Add the Lobster for the last 7 minutes with salt, pepper and butter. If there is garlic on the main deck take some too and add to lobster as well.

Out of Santiago it's salmon. For this flight substitute salmon for lobster. Enjoy your flight!

Don't forget to attach a sticker on the pallet that says "damaged".

At Amerijet you had to fix a bag of sandwiches to last through a 24 hr duty day. At another MIA outfit there was a big locker in the hanger for which the pilots had a key and you took whatever you thought would make you survive a long S.American night and day. Other outfits with ACMI it depended on the customer. UPS was good, Lufthansa excellent, Fedex bbq and other meals of a menu. I have seen some excellent catering in Africa, and lousy catering in the US (depending on location and customer). Our contract at one company said everything over 2.5 hrs had to be catered, at another it was an unwritten rule. Never had a fridge, never had a microwave, helped a mechanic fix a coffeemaker during a stop. If the oven broke, you had a problem. The good mechanics almost always had a way to get the thing running. Cold food in a large camping cooler with (dry) ice. Another cooler for the drinks.

Now that i'm flying scheduled 121 PAX i can say i don't in a heartbeat miss the 14hr middle of the night call out, plastic bag consisting of what you can carry in a plastic bag/vending machine catering.

Latest resources

Back