Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BuckMurdock1

Hey all-
I'm an airline pilot who still flys small-plane GA on occasion (less than I'd like due to cost/schedule), and have a special request to all instructors/student pilots & GA pilots in general...specifically with regard to CTAF communications.

PLEASE begin your calls with your aircraft TYPE. About 90% of the time, when entering a pattern at an uncontrolled field, this is how it goes:

Me: "Cessna Skylane N1234 entering left downwind RWYXX"

Airplane 2: "Cessna N2345 on left downwind RWYXX"

Airplane 3: "N3456 on left base RWYXX"

Folks; ask yourself this; what is the FIRST piece of info that Ground Control/Tower/Approach wants to know when you first make contact? When you are issued a traffic advisory: does the controller say "traffic 11o'clock opposite direction 1000ft above..it's Cessna N1234"? No! He calls it a Cessna Skylane..or Citation..or 421. This is the common sense aspect of the argument.
For those who need a proof source, look in FAR/AIM.

Frankly, if I'm close enough to read your #s while airborne--something has already gone VERY wrong. So just skip the #s and say "Cessna Skyhawk" (or appropriate type).
--Another "CYA" aspect of this practice; if you should accidentally land at an airport after curfew (or do something else you'd rather nobody knew about), would you rather the airport authority or Feds hear "Cessna N1234" on the recorded CTAF, or "Cessna Skyhawk"? Think about it.

Instructors; I specifically aim my plea at you--because you are molding these pilots from their very beginnings in our airspace. You teach them good habits, and they will practice them...

Thanks for your attention....
Rant over

Latest resources

Back