Crossing Atlantic Engine Out To Save Money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
profile said:
If you have more than two engines, you do not need to land at the nearest suitable, but you must be able to make the case that not doing so was "as safe as".

Wow....

The Europeans are really going to look good when this happens again....

And they have a multiple engine failure enroute or additional systems failures..

What would have happened if the first engine had failed due to something like fuel contamination..... ???

A few hours go by and they lose another..... and then another??

Great.....

Don't know about fuel contamination on the 74-4, but I would venture it is similar to the MD11. Starts with a fuel filter bypass, and if you get that on a second engine, it gives you a fuel contamination alert. Much different scenario, and unlikely to cause a failure right off the bat. Sorry, try to find another way to attack this crew!

8vATE said:
Wow....

The Europeans are really going to look good when this happens again....

And they have a multiple engine failure enroute or additional systems failures..

What would have happened if the first engine had failed due to something like fuel contamination..... ???

A few hours go by and they lose another..... and then another??

Great.....

Obviously you don't know jack about fuel systems. How did you get that FE ticket anyway? They why the first engine quit to begin with. It was not a flame out, it was a catastrophic compressor stall combined with a roll back, according to the BA announcement.

Same nation who brought us the Titanic. Seven iceberg warnings later and your boat is GPS direct China. Safety in England must be a foreign language. Comet anyone?

Kind of reminds me of a joke.

There was a _____________ (Aggie, Polish person, etc.; insert your favorite) riding on a 747 when the Captain came on the PA and announced that they had an engine failure. But not to worry, we're perfectly fine, but we'll be an hour late at our destination.

A little while later the Captain announced a second engine failure, but everything's safe. But we'll be two hours late.

A bit later the captain comes on again to announce the failure of a third engine, which will now make the flight three hours late.

The ___________________ (Aggie, Polish person, etc.) turned to his seatmate and said, "I hope that fourth engine doesn't fail. We'll be up here forever."

Spooky 1 said:
It was not a flame out, it was a catastrophic compressor stall combined with a roll back, according to the BA announcement.

Its a "hypothetical situation for the future" ..........

That's why the safest course of action in the event of an engine failure in two-engined aircraft is to "land at the nearest suitable airport"...

You have more lee way in 3 or more engined aircraft...

But as you "mr. know it all" (are you general lee incognito?) can speculate about the reason behind your enroute engine failure.... I would be considering worst case scenarios such as future related and unrelated systems failures for the next 8-10 hours...

Last edited:
profile said:
Don't know about fuel contamination on the 74-4, but I would venture it is similar to the MD11. Starts with a fuel filter bypass, and if you get that on a second engine, it gives you a fuel contamination alert. Much different scenario, and unlikely to cause a failure right off the bat. Sorry, try to find another way to attack this crew!

So then what?
You get a fuel contamination alert?

Does that guarantee that your motors will keep turning....??

Sorry...
But I'm not attacking this flight crew...
But I am question the EU's questionable motives when they start pressuring airlines with such significant fines and penalties..

Apparently BA mgt is feeling the pressure enough to "motivate" this crew to continue for 8-10 hours more on 3 engines...

8vATE said:
Its a "hypothetical situation for the future" ..........

That's why the safest course of action in the event of an engine failure in two-engined aircraft is to "land at the nearest suitable airport"...

You have more lee way in 3 or more engined aircraft...

But as you "mr. know it all" (are you general lee incognito?) can speculate about the reason behind your enroute engine failure.... I would be considering worst case scenarios such as future related and unrelated systems failures for the next 8-10 hours...

You simply do not know anything about the B744 so quit speculating and cool off. It was legal and thats the end of the story.

The real stroy is, saw this on the internet last night, he had dropped his wife off at LAX.

While on the surface it may seem questionable to people who have no experience in these types of operations, it is absolutly legal. We have had many engine failures with the AVR RJ-85 where the crew continued to the destination after the failure. Granted we don't go trans-atlantic, but the rules are the same for this issue. Just a whole different set of rules and differet mindset when it comes to a single engine failure in an aircraft with MORE than two engines.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back