• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cross fix at xx:xxZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BTW this is not new. I can remember this as part of my IFR training in the early 70's and its very prevalent internationally..

Were you flying an FMS airplane, or was the FMS between the pilots ears like a DC9?

I missed your question from two months ago, but if you're still reading... Initially it was between the ears, and I'd do my best (doing mental math in terms of miles-per-minute) to time the restriction so we wouldn't have to hold. The company later added GPS to the panel, which could tell us time at a fix based on current speed, which made it a little easier on the old brain. :D

I was flying through MSP airspace yesterday and heard this clearance several times- flights getting cleared to a fix on an arrival or something with the time limit It also seemed that the crews and the controller were sort of fuzzy about the whole concept sort of like feeling it out a bit.

I have received these on multiple trips between PDX and Vancouver, BC. This was several years ago so this is not all that new. The last time I remember getting one we slowed down as much as we could and when we knew we would still be super early we just advised the controller and he aided in delay vectors.

I think it is an attempt to keep the crews informed as to what kind of delays to expect and attempt to relieve some controller work vs giving a planned hold and true EFC. Concept does not seem that difficult to me. :)

BTW this is not new. I can remember this as part of my IFR training in the early 70's and its very prevalent internationally..

Yet it seems like the FAA has, regarding a few things, been behind the rest of the world.

Not always, the U.S. has led the way with aeronautical advances many times over, but when it comes to airspace and ATC, we seem to be behind other 1st world countries and unions.

Just my 2 cents, let the flames begin ;)

Yet it seems like the FAA has, regarding a few things, been behind the rest of the world.

Not always, the U.S. has led the way with aeronautical advances many times over, but when it comes to airspace and ATC, we seem to be behind other 1st world countries and unions.

Just my 2 cents, let the flames begin ;)

Okay. Just try flying in Southern Europe. Totally incompetent. US ATC is the best in the world, bar none. The British are very good, however.

Timed Approach/Time Based Metering

This is nothing new guys.

In OKC to qualify as a non-radar approach controller circa 1982 (post strike) we had to master timed approaches ... metering from the final approach fix ... as well as outer fixes.

Old stuff ... wuzzup? This was pre-radar ...

TransMach

I am an ATC at Jacksonville Center in florida and we use time based metering going to clt and atl. TBM is basically a tool to place each aircraft on final at a certain time to enhance efficiency. This is all computer generated. A lot of controllers do not like metering because they don't understand it completely. They have been using tbm at dfw for a while and it has worked great. The east coast has been behind in getting it do to the fact that there is a lot more traffic on the east coast so things get implemented last. Overall, tbm is much better than miles in trail because we don't end up vectoring aircraft all over. There are several metering points beginning up to 100 miles from the airport and at each one u have to have a certain time. I might get my aircraft over a specific fix on time, but the next sector might have to lose 2 minutes still. Sometimes if there is a large delay we will swap the aircrafts position with another one that is farther from the airport. The overall goal is to not have to turn an aircraft and use speed control overall. Hope this is clear as mud!

I am an ATC at Jacksonville Center in florida and we use time based metering going to clt and atl. TBM is basically a tool to place each aircraft on final at a certain time to enhance efficiency. This is all computer generated. A lot of controllers do not like metering because they don't understand it completely. They have been using tbm at dfw for a while and it has worked great. The east coast has been behind in getting it do to the fact that there is a lot more traffic on the east coast so things get implemented last. Overall, tbm is much better than miles in trail because we don't end up vectoring aircraft all over. There are several metering points beginning up to 100 miles from the airport and at each one u have to have a certain time. I might get my aircraft over a specific fix on time, but the next sector might have to lose 2 minutes still. Sometimes if there is a large delay we will swap the aircrafts position with another one that is farther from the airport. The overall goal is to not have to turn an aircraft and use speed control overall. Hope this is clear as mud!

Just an FYI but all Jetblue Airbuses have the software that if the controller gives us a time to be at a fix, we just type that time in the FMS and the plane automatically adjusts the speed to make that time at that fix. Pretty cool stuff. Maybe all Airbuses have this I don't know, but I thought I would pass this along. Please tell your other co-workers that the Jetblue guys should be able to work with you pretty well in regards to TBM. I'm not sure if our E-190's can do it though.

Latest resources

Back