• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crop dusting!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi guys, I am new to this web site. Does anyone know of anybody who has a pawnee who is willing to train or let me build some sort of ag time in?

Crop dusting is a great career alternative for people who won't make it to the airlines and don't have a CFI. You just need a big toothpick to get the bugs out of your teeth at the end of the day.

All cropdusters should form a union under ALPA for better wages and work rules. Otherwise, greedy farmers will require you to work at night.

EMB Skillz said:
Crop dusting is a great career alternative for people who won't make it to the airlines and don't have a CFI. You just need a big toothpick to get the bugs out of your teeth at the end of the day.

All cropdusters should form a union under ALPA for better wages and work rules. Otherwise, greedy farmers will require you to work at night.

I don't suppose it's occured to you that with friends like you making statements like this, ALPA doesn't need any enemies! What a public relations nightmare. You and D'angelo appear to be working toward the same end. Just something you might consider in case you aren't a union buster in disguise. Just what ag pilots need, commuter wages and work rules! I'll bet that those ag guys could really benefit from your vast experience and knowledge of ag operations since they'll never make it to your lofty position as an RJ driver. 410 it baby! 4.1 feet above the field that is.

Have a nice day!

EMB Skillz said:

Career alternative?? For guys that "wont make it" to the airlines? Bubba, you seriously need to get a clue before you shoot your mouth off. I hate to burst your little shiny jet bubble, but there are those of us who dont want to fly for an airline. Let me put it to you in a different way... I actually like to FLY for a living, not troll the friendly skies in a bus. Dont even act like you are talking down to ag pilots because they dont fly for an airline, because you are talking to aviators who have piloting skills you only dream about while you are reading a book in your RJ cockpit, and fiddling with the buttoms on your FMS (yeah, there's some REAL flying for you). Ag pilots, aerial patrol pilots, tanker pilots, these are some of the LAST areas of aviation that still require a pilot to have some skills and actually fly the aircraft instead of being a systems monitor. You airline guys are more computer techs than you are pilots. Being an ag pilot is not a "career alternative" as you so broadly put it. It IS a career in itself, and it's a career that few pilots have the skill or the balls to handle. I may never see FL 410 in a shiny bird, but do I care?? HELL no I dont. I get to actually fly every day, and the best part is... I bet make more money than you! By the way, some ag pilots ALREADY fly at night!! Nightime spraying is and has been done in California and several other states for years. It's done so that the bee populations are not harmed, among other reasons. Do us a favor and get over yourself, because not everyone wants to drive a jet.

While that quote was most likely uneducated flame bait, it was also one of the least intelligent things to ever be posted here. Good job.

I won't bother making airline and ag comparisons, because there really isn't any, nor need there be. Suffice it to say that ag aviation is no entry level career track...really more of a way of life based on the commitment necessary...and hardly a fallback for folks who won't make it to entry-level areas of the industry.

Night flying is a specialty that requires more than a fair amount of skill; it pays accordingly. It's an operational requirement in some areas and for certain types of application.

I've had bird guts down my collar in flight, but never bugs in my teeth. Open cockpit spraying is history that's not often fondly remembered by those who've seen a sulfur fire chasing their airplane in flight, or those that got a mormon cricket stuck in their mouth at an inopportune time...or those who've had to choke back dust or spray. They say you can tell a happy motorcyclist by the bugs in his teeth, but I can't say the same about an ag pilot. You can tell a happy ag pilot because he's eating. And working. And his family is eating when he's working.

Union? If it weren't so ignorant, it might be funny.

Hi guys, I am new to this web site. Does anyone know of anybody who has a pawnee who is willing to train or let me build some sort of ag time in?

If you're planning on training yourself, here's a shortcut. Skip the airplane; go cut down a powerline, wrap it around your neck, stand on top of the powerline, and jump. Save time, cut to the chase.

How are you going to borrow an ag airplane and "build" ag time?

If you want to get trained, keep driving across the country, ask every ag operator you meet for an opportunity to load and mix chemical, and the chance to eventually work into a flying position. Plan on several years of doing this, and be sure you arrive with mechanical skills and your own tools, a good working knowledge of farms, tractors, crops, insects, chemicals, aircraft, conventional gear and low level operations. Have some good conventional gear experience under your belt. Prepare to have lean winters, and to switch jobs seasonally. Be prepared to move to find work, to be gone as necessary, to live in rural areas, and to change your life.

Nice post avbug. The Skillz guy is a pathological flamebaiter and it sucks that he tainted this thread. Most likely when I found out he's been banned before and assumes different screen names with schizo personas he decided to come after a thread I started. Some of the freudian slips in his many posts reveal a very unstable and frail individual. Kid needs help.

Just think though if you joined ALPO you could make cool posters that look like "the fly" and make some cool slogans to chant. Maybe your motto could be "ALPO: Swatting great companies like flies, one outlandish contract at a time." Just remember your crayons and printer cartridges. Duane promises it will be the best 2% youve ever spent. If everyone says you need a union it must be true right?

Guys especially agpilot34,don't let EMB skillz get to you,he is a notorious flamer from the airline side,who should be banned from the site. read a few threads where he has posted to see what I mean. by the way I love flying my 727, the same way you love your ag ships. its ALL good. cheers,and Godspeed.

Sorry guys. Wish I knew how to hang in there with this ALPA issue. I know nothing about it.

Sucks that it ended up in a crop dusting thread. Common sense tells me that this is not the right place. Please disregard EMB retard's post.

Oh, and for the guy looking to build pawnee time. I've been meaning to tell you that baby step #1 for ag flyin is towing banners in conventional gear.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back