CRJ holding/icing Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASH

Hey guys on the -200. Does your company/mgf have any specified procedures for holding i.e speeds apart from the part 91 regs? What about minimum speeds or restrictions on holding in icing conditions.

Thanks!

ASH said:
Hey guys on the -200. Does your company/mgf have any specified procedures for holding i.e speeds apart from the part 91 regs? What about minimum speeds or restrictions on holding in icing conditions.

Thanks!

There are Min Safe Holding speeds published in the Flight Standards Manual and also on a laminated sheet in the cockpit (based on weight and altitude)

As for holding in icing I would have to look if they gave specific guidance on that. The times I have encouterd ice in a hold, we usually just ask for a new altitude and tell them we are getting ice and ATC accomadates (They are very good about this, they know the outcome of too much ice).

Last edited:
never had a problem with it honestly...like the previous post ATC is pretty good about it...also the airplane doesn't pick up that much. If you need to,you could always hold at a higher speed too in order to keep the power to keep the wings/cowls hot.

AWAC holds at 225 above 15,000ft (210 if single engine), and below 15,000 at Flaps 0 VREF + 30kts, which is usually somewhere around 200kts.

In icing conditions, wings have to be on if ICE is annunicated or if below 230kts.

So ASH, are you gonna be a CKA or just a CA on the RJ at the Taco?

ASA holding speeds
Up to and including 14,000 ft. MSL - 200
14,001 ft up to and including FL250 - 225
Above FL250 - 250

Pinnacle allows us to use either 225 kias or Vmd from the charts. I usually use Vmd if it's smooth air to save a little gas.

Latest resources

Back