Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fascinating. This thread should have taken some of the following tacks:

1. Congrats to the crew (some of this)

2. What could have caused this? (none of this)

3. How you would have handled this. (bit early, no details, but how bout this . . . if you were the PIC, and it was the F/O's leg, would you have said, "Hey sport, my controls now")

Instead, it's Mesa bashing (pretty much).

I'm beginning to the belive that the majority of knee jerk-Mesa bashers are pilots who either failed their Mesa interview or washed out of their initial training.

And that's just plain PATHETIC.

Congrats to the crew - Job Well Done!!!

The term for this type of engine failure is called a N1 Rotor Burst. The fabric is indeed Kevlar. I'm happy everyone made it down safely.

To those who posted something mean about Mesa pilots when they shined in the public eye - I don't guess you know a damned thing about team work do you? We're all in this airline business together.

Excellent work crew!!! Excellent work. You made it home with the majority of the big parts and didn't bend anything in the process.....well done!

This is dumb. You run the checklist for severe engine damage, and fly the airplane to the nearest suitable airport.

Comparing this to Sioux City is very ridiculous.

Take a look at the pics. Above the pylon you can see a wrinkle with some holes. Apparently that is where flying-turbine-blades-of-death pierced the baggage compartment, whith some matching holes on the other side of the plane. The only thing that differs from the Souix City accident is that no hydrolic lines were hit, if they had there would probably be no doubt in anyone's mind that this was just like that accident. The crew did a fantastic job, and they deserve all the kudos they can get.

I'm sure that if you were in the front of that plane you'd be on here in a half an hour telling everyone how you saved everyone's lives. It's easy to say "just run the checklist and land" when you're siting at home, to do it when you're in that airplane takes balls.

B

Take a look at the pics. Above the pylon you can see a wrinkle with some holes. Apparently that is where flying-turbine-blades-of-death pierced the baggage compartment, whith some matching holes on the other side of the plane. The only thing that differs from the Souix City accident is that no hydrolic lines were hit, if they had there would probably be no doubt in anyone's mind that this was just like that accident. The crew did a fantastic job, and they deserve all the kudos they can get.

And the fact that all 121 transport category aircraft now have one way check valves in all hydraulic systems to further prevent something like that happening.

And the fact that all 121 transport category aircraft now have one way check valves in all hydraulic systems to further prevent something like that happening.

They are actually called hydraulic fuses and they have been around since WWII. To bad that they were not a requirement for the DC-10

Latest resources

Back