CRJ Crash in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

I was told they shut the one engine down with the fire handle, but the other engine stayed running...fire handle would not work.

cliff
NBO

So one engine was shut down then the T handle was pulled on the other? I'm not a CRJ driver, but I'm assuming it has engine driven and electric hyd pumps. Pulling the T handle on the only operating engine would shut off the single running engine driven pump and would it take the gen off line which would fail the single running electric pump? Now you have no hyd pressure at all? No brakes or emergency brake.

So one engine was shut down then the T handle was pulled on the other? I'm not a CRJ driver, but I'm assuming it has engine driven and electric hyd pumps. Pulling the T handle on the only operating engine would shut off the single running engine driven pump and would it take the gen off line which would fail the single running electric pump? Now you have no hyd pressure at all? No brakes or emergency brake.
If the apu was operating, the hydraulics would be working and the generators too.

Its been several years since I've flown the 100 or 200(flying the 700/900 now) so I'm sure i'm forgetting something. Anyway, best I remember there is nothing common between the engines other than than the power levers. Each engine has a seperate control unit (I think). Possibly both power levers were jammed somehow in the full power position. Other than that I have no idea. Any current 100/200 drivers know anything common between the engines? No FADEC on the 100/200.

I don't know about CRJ's. I see a few similarities with the learjet that crashed in N/S Carolina a year or two back when during a tire burst the ground sensing was lost and both engines went to full power instead of reverse.

On a metro I once couldn't shut the engines down. Pushing shut down buttons didn't do a thing. Pulling stop and feather would shut them down, but as soon as I pushed them back in the engines would start up again. Turning the battery switches off killed the engines. Cause: a broken ground wire.

I think maybe this statement aint correct "ground sensing was lost and both engines went to full power instead of reverse."

You mean they couldnt get reverse as the ground sensing was lost me thinks...

The "t" handle/Fire Switch Light (it is merely a guarded button), merely closes the Fuel Shut-off Valve (also shuts off the Gen, closes the Hydraulic shutoff valve and arms the fire bottles). That would starve the engine of fuel. Who knows how often those things are tested or what the failure rate is. I'd guess if you fired the Halon that would shutoff the engine also, if say the fuel shutoff valve failed to close.

Hi.

Update. Talked to someone who knows Jetlink pilots:

On takeoff, both engines accelerated to max power. Takeoff OK, but then what to do? They shut one engine down with the emergency shutoff (T-handle, or whatever they call it), and successfully landed the plane on one engine at 100%.

Taxied back, and chocked in parking spot. Engine still at 100%. Could not shut it down. Then brakes gave way, as overheated, jumped chocks, and smashed into building. Capt and FO OK...Only broken leg and broken ankle.

I injured pax was killed on way to the hospital in ambulance, and I heard from other posters; 2 other persons outside ambulance killed in ambulance accident.

cliff
NBO

Gives new meaning to..."The drive to or from the airport is the most dangerous part of your trip!"

Left throttle stuck in full. Rigth was put on Idle... They forgot how to shut the eng. down with the fire push button... Landed, brakes cooked and tires gone on left side. Parked shut right engine down ( lost outboard brake pressure ) and they where off.... with the left eng. still going full blast!

Latest resources

Back