Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Criminalization of Pilots: Are you next?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If a car driver, Bob, rear ends another car and causes a death on his way to work and the police determine that Bob was drving 5 mph over the speed limit... should be be convicted of a vehicular death?

What about the DHL/Tupolev accident..

Bashkirian Airlines Flight 2937, registration RA-85816, was a Tupolev 154M passenger jet en route from Moscow, Russia, to Barcelona, Spain. DHL Flight 611, registration A9C-DHL, was a Boeing 757-200 cargo jet flying from Bergamo, Italy, to Brussels, Belgium. The two aircraft collided in mid-air on July 1, 2002, at 21:35 (UTC) over the towns of Owingen and Überlingen in Germany, (near Lake Constance), killing all 71 aboard both aircraft. German official investigators determined on May 19, 2004, that the accident had been caused by problems within the air traffic control system and problems with the use of the collision warning system.[1] On February 24, 2004, the controller who was on duty at the time, Dane Peter Nielsen, was stabbed to death by Vitaly Kaloyev[5] who had lost his wife and two children in the accident.[6][7]

One air traffic controller, Peter Nielsen of ACC Zurich, was controlling the airspace through which the aircraft were transitioning. The only other controller on duty was resting in another room for the night. This was against the regulations, but had been a common practice for years and was known and tolerated by management. Due to maintenance work, Nielsen had a stand-by controller and system manager on call; Nielsen was unaware of this or he chose not to use them in order to avoid dangerous boredom.[1]

In addition, a ground-based optical collision warning system which would have alerted the controller to imminent collisions early had been switched off for maintenance; Nielsen was unaware of this. There still was an aural STCA warning system, which released a warning addressed to workstation RE SUED at 21:35:00 (32 seconds before the collision); this warning was not heard by anyone present at that time, although no error in this system could be found in a subsequent technical audit; if this audible warning is turned on or not, is not logged technically. Even if Nielsen had heard this warning, he might have misinterpreted it until the next radar update 12 seconds later became visible or until the TCAS descent notice by the DHL crew came in; at that time finding a useful resolution order by the air traffic controller is difficult to impossible.[1]

The main phone lines at Skyguide was also down as part of the maintenance work, and the backup line was defective. This prevented adjacent air traffic controllers at Karlsruhe from phoning in a warning.​

In the minutes before the accident, Nielsen was occupied with an Airbus on a delayed Aero Lloyd Flight 1137 approaching Friedrichshafen Airport.[1] Handling two workstations at once, Nielsen struggled with the malfunctioning phone system that he was trying to use to call the Friedrichshafen airport to announce the approaching Aero Lloyd. Due to these distractions he did not spot the danger until about a minute before impact. Had he ordered the Russian plane to descend earlier, the aircraft would have been separated and their collision avoidance systems would not have issued instructions. When Nielsen realised that the situation (the multiple factors in two workstations) was overwhelming, it was too late to summon assistance.​

The issue here.... is a US pilot in the US has NEVER been criminally convicted. Now one has. This is a poor precedence for all of us...

Criminalization of pilots is a problem worldwide.. whereas most of the cases involve pilots who are simply doing their jobs when a death occurs. Problem is.. the mentality is..someone has to pay... like this Japanese pilot:

NAGOYA - The Nagoya High Court on Tuesday upheld a lower court ruling acquitting a Japan Airlines pilot over a turbulence accident in 1997 that injured 14 people on board, including one flight attendant who died 20 months later from a head injury she sustained at the time.​

The focus of the trial was on whether the pilot, Koichi Takamoto, 56, was capable of predicting an accident resulting in death and injuries when he encountered the turbulence while at the helm of JAL Flight 706, and on whether he should be criminally pursued as a result of the accident.​

Why are so many of you ready to champion criminal convictions of pilots?

After he was found guilty of ten counts of vehicular manslaughter, the sentencing judge noted Weller "showed enormous indifference" and "unbelievable callousness."
If he felt sorry for killing ten people, it wouldn't be a crime?

the bi-plane pilot was not drinking or flying aggressively...
He was one of those conservative pilots that hit powerlines while buzzing the river?

Why are so many of you ready to champion criminal convictions of pilots?
I champion criminal convictions for criminals. Being in an airplane at the time of the crime should not give you a free pass. Vehicular manslaughter is what it is and an airplane is a vehicle.
America West (Miami?) drunks sentenced to five and 2.5 years in prison. Do you advocate it shouldn't be a DUI because it was an airplane, not a car?

The Japan guy was acquitted because the charge was ridiculous. That's what courts are for. Your Stearman buddy, they had a case. I'm surprised you're not stumping ALPA on this one. I've got legal representation if someone wants to throw random charges at me to see if something will stick.

Last edited:
If he felt sorry for killing ten people, it wouldn't be a crime?

It might... perhaps not in this case... but post disposition, attitude etc, play a part in a prosecutor charging and judge sentencing..

He was one of those conservative pilots that hit powerlines while buzzing the river?

Again, he though he was over a part of the river he knew... he lost SA.

I champion criminal convictions for criminals. Being in an airplane at the time of the crime should not give you a free pass. Vehicular manslaughter is what it is and an airplane is a vehicle.

Funny, for the last 100 years there have been no criminal convictions for pilots... why now?

America West (Miami?) drunks sentenced to five and 2.5 years in prison. Do you advocate it shouldn't be a DUI because it was an airplane, not a car?

The bi-plane pilot was not drinking...

The Japan guy was acquitted because the charge was ridiculous.

Define ridiculous.. more and more pilots are being charged... you and I are next...

That's what courts are for. Your Stearman buddy, they had a case. I'm surprised you're not stumping ALPA on this one. I've got legal representation if someone wants to throw random charges at me to see if something will stick.

How much time and resources do you have for multiple arrests? Your attitude suggests "bring it on!" I don't have time for one court case to defend myself...

I'll ask again...

If a car driver, Bob, rear ends another car and causes a death on his way to work and the police determine that Bob was driving 5 mph over the speed limit... should be be convicted of a vehicular death?

And I'll ask this again... this is the first case of a pilot criminally convicted... since the Wright Brothers according to the article... WHY?

Why is this camels nose justifiably under the tent?

Anyone?

If a car driver, Bob, rear ends another car and causes a death on his way to work and the police determine that Bob was driving 5 mph over the speed limit... should be be convicted of a vehicular death?
Damn skippy.
I'm a fan of personal responsibility. When you take the controls any motor vehicle, you accept the responsibility of operating it safely, obeying the law, and paying attention to what you're doing. If someone dies while you are failing to do so, expect retribution.
Of course Accidents happen.... Firestones blow up and you lose control, you swerve to avoid a deer and hit someone, etc... Falling asleep at the wheel, following too closely, doing your makeup, unsecured loads, fiddling with the radio are different. If our fictional friend Bob killed your wife and children, I'd absolutely want him to face justice.
Again, he thought he was over a part of the river he knew... he lost SA.
Russell thought the gas pedal was the brake pedal......he lost SA.
The driver in the dashcam footage on every "Shocking Videos" TV show thought they were going to pass the officer doing a car stop instead of smashing into them at full speed. They lost SA.
Not sure what your point here is.

And I'll ask this again... this is the first case of a pilot criminally convicted... since the Wright Brothers according to the article... WHY?
Anyone?

I suspect it is mainly two reasons.
First: Often times (aircraft accidents being what they are in comparison to other vehicles), there simply isn't a negligent pilot left alive to prosecute.
Second: It probably does not occur to local law enforcement that motor vehicle laws are applicable to airplanes. I'd bet they assume that it is a federal matter and not a local one.

Last edited:
Damn skippy.
I'm a fan of personal responsibility.

So am I. Insofar that... If I don't want to get into an auto accident, I won't drive. However, there are times, that I must drive... to work for example, therefor I accept responsibility for the risk/reward.

I realize that I might get killed on the road, purely due to an accident. A blunder or miscalculation on another's part...

Did the bi-plane pilot tell the girl, we will fly over the river. Did she agree? If she didn't want to get into an aircraft accident maybe she should have not flown with a 500TT pilot or at all.

Make no mistake, she didn't deserve her death, but what level of responsibility do we take when we get into any motorized vehicle?

When you take the controls any motor vehicle, you accept the responsibility of operating it safely, obeying the law, and paying attention to what you're doing. If someone dies while you are failing to do so, expect retribution.

And it doesn't occur that way. Get real. No? Many accidents are caused and the investigation can reveal some time of law violation... let's use reasonability and common sense.. In addition can the justice system handle a court case for every death?

Of course Accidents happen.... Firestones blow up and you lose control,

The SabreTech mechanics were found guilty of Valuejet.. should firestone engineers?

you swerve to avoid a deer and hit someone, etc... Falling asleep at the wheel,

Falling asleep at the wheel in some states is reckless driving. The State expects one to pull over and stop driving... but you excuse it is as "accidents happen"

following too closely, doing your makeup, unsecured loads, fiddling with the radio are different.

So a motorist in your eyes can follow to closely, fall asleep, put on make up and fiddle with the radio (cell phones ok too?) and cause a death and that is ok?

If our fictional friend Bob killed your wife and children, I'd absolutely want him to face justice.

I see conflict in your reasoning..

I suspect it is mainly two reasons.
First: Often times (aircraft accidents being what they are in comparison to other vehicles), there simply isn't a negligent pilot left alive to prosecute.

So in 100 years this is the first pilot to survive the accident that killed a pax?

Second: It probably does not occur to local law enforcement that motor vehicle laws are applicable to airplanes. I'd bet they assume that it is a federal matter and not a local one.

It took 100 years for law enforcement to realize they had jurisdiction?

Respectfully, your reasoning why this is the first pilot to be convicted criminally is.....weak.

Doesn't it really come down to the county prosecutor? He/she gets to decide what charges to make... I'd be curious what types of charges are issued with 'falling asleep at the wheel', make up, and radio fiddlin' and a subsequent death...

Rez is grasping at straws to prop up his beloved ALPA...We all know ALPA has failed on the collective bargaining front....Now he is trying to scare everyone into believing that only ALPA can save them from the boogey men of prosecution and cabotage......

Rez....is there any case that a pilot could be prosecuted under criminal negligence in your opinion?...simple question......

Is it possible that sometimes pilots do bad things? Doctors do....Cops do.....Lawyers do.......Politicians do...Are we immune?

Falling asleep at the wheel in some states is reckless driving. The State expects one to pull over and stop driving... but you excuse it is as "accidents happen"

So a motorist in your eyes can follow to closely, fall asleep, put on make up and fiddle with the radio (cell phones ok too?) and cause a death and that is ok?
You might want to re-read the part where I gave examples of a couple of types of accidents. You'll notice that I ended that sentence, then began another sentence stating the the things above are different, as in NOT accidents.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's too far of a stretch for it to have taken 100 years for a negligent pilot to survive a fatal crash in the jurisdiction of a local cop who wants to take action instead of assuming the Feds will do it. How many local sheriffs do you think realize that they can demand to see our medical any time we're operating an aircraft?
What is your theory? A vast grass-roots conspiracy? A network of back woods cops having secret meetings and lying in wait for the day a plane falls out of the sky so that they can further their anti-pilot agenda?:eek:

Say what you will about my reasoning. I'd say the fact that the guy went to jail supports it. I'd also say that your reasoning that an airplane is some sort of magical motor vehicle that law doesn't apply to is, frankly...... weak.
And it doesn't occur that way. Get real.

Actually, it does occur that way. All the time. Have you never seen "Law and Order"? In fact, we are currently discussing a case where it occurred that way.

Great job blaming the victim by the way. "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash." is only funny in the movies.

Last edited:
You might want to re-read the part where I gave examples of a couple of types of accidents. You'll notice that I ended that sentence, then began another sentence stating the the things above are different, as in NOT accidents.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer but I probably won't...

I don't think it's too far of a stretch for it to have taken 100 years for a negligent pilot to survive a fatal crash in the jurisdiction of a local cop who wants to take action instead of assuming the Feds will do it.

This has nothing to do with cops. It has to do with the county prosecutor deciding to charge...

How many local sheriffs do you think realize that they can demand to see our medical any time we're operating an aircraft?

I don't think most deputy's know we have medicals... now a license on the other hand...

What is your theory? A vast grass-roots conspiracy? A network of back woods cops having secret meetings and lying in wait for the day a plane falls out of the sky so that they can further their anti-pilot agenda?:eek:

Once again.... this isn't about cops... this is about govt prosecutors...

Say what you will about my reasoning. I'd say the fact that the guy went to jail supports it. I'd also say that your reasoning that an airplane is some sort of magical motor vehicle that law doesn't apply to is, frankly...... weak.

So, because a guy goes to jail that means justice has prevailed? No way the prescutor was over zealous?

Actually, it does occur that way. All the time. Have you never seen "Law and Order"? In fact, we are currently discussing a case where it occurred that way.

Law and Order? I knew you had law experience... and to think it is high class experience and not NYPD Blue-ish...

Great job blaming the victim by the way. "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash." is only funny in the movies.

Once again you mistake my debate... however we have become lawsuit happy in this country.

No longer is it "accidents happen"... "some one must pay..." and "I've been wronged" and "I need closure"

She gets into a bi-plane with a 500TT pilot and can have a reasonable expection that nothing will happen?

What time is Law and Order on... I want to get "educated" I bet you like SVU the best...

This is a slippery slope guys. You have an aw-s**t and the FAA comes after you - generally throwing on the "careless and reckless" whenever possible. Then it is up to people who were not there (but are generally familiar with aviation) to decide if you were negligent. If they prevail, and they generally do, you lose your ticket for a bit.

Now, make it a criminal matter and the group who decides your guilt, by design, is ignorant to aviation and is chosen specifically to act on only the evidence that is allowed before them. Facts which may exonerate you may be excluded based on technicalities. Then, the "ignorant" group weighs in on the case of this rich, arrogant, drinking(they all do), FA chasing pilot, against the great state of He-must-be-guilty-or-we-wouldn't-be-here, and the poor victims. Worst case - you are convicted and spend the better part of your life as someone's b***h. Best case - you've spent your life savings, probably lost your house and your job and, even though you were innocent, no one will hire you because of the publicity and the fact that you were convicted long ago by the media.

Latest resources

Back