Crew Scheduler

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

777-2H4

I always see lots of Crew Scheduler positions open. Can someone enlighten me about this position? What do they do? The posted requirements don't seem too extensive, not much experience in many cases. Why? is it a good position for someone who wants to learn the airline business, or just a glorified Administrative Assistant type of position? How's the pay in general - similar to Rampers? Is it a high stress job? What is a typical day like?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very curious.

If the airline is willing to properly staff itself, then it's a low stress job. If the airline is like mine or many others, it is a little slice of a flaming flesh-blistering hell. Yell and get yelled at, have your phone conversations taped, take the fall for management's lack of planning. Whatever floats your boat.

In General, you must love to speak to people on the phone, willing to call them at all hours of the day or night, on their days off, call them to extend an already long day...push every hourly limit, basically its a very tough job where most employees will dislike you before you have spoken the first word...in a seniority driven system like the airlines, the junior person gets the dirty end of the stick and must come to work or call out sick...very nasty in many cases...to many call in's and they are terminated...

I can't think of many pluses to the job, it does not pay very well, you will work shifts, you don't need a license, I guess this is a plus...

Personally, I agree with the others here, just dont do it....dont be a ticket agent either, same type of problems, except its the customer barking at you over things you cant control for the most part, and you have to smile....and take it...another thankless job....

if you do accept these jobs, you better have very very thick skin and be able to control your emotions in the heat of an PO'ed person....

Good luck...

Last edited:
rvsm410 said:
In General, you must love to speak to people on the phone, willing to call them at all hours of the day or night, on their days off...

Basically, you're a telemarketer with nothing to sell that anyone wants.

Wow. That sounds pretty nasty. I have done/am doing something similar in the military and it isn't nearly as bad as what I am reading here. I have been hearing lately that in order to get a dispatch position, new people usually have to run the crew scheduler gamut before they are even looked at for dispatch. Is this generally true at most places?

dispatch licensing

anasun2000 said:
Wow. That sounds pretty nasty. I have done/am doing something similar in the military and it isn't nearly as bad as what I am reading here. I have been hearing lately that in order to get a dispatch position, new people usually have to run the crew scheduler gamut before they are even looked at for dispatch. Is this generally true at most places?

To answer your basic question..NO you dont have to start in scheduling to dispatch, however there are several airlines like SWA that do require you work for them in some capacity get your dispatch license and then apply for a dispatch position "Internally"....

In all cases you will need to get your dispatch license from a school, then apply with the regional airlines for a direct hire into a dispatch position...It would have nothing to do with crew scheduling...

I will say, that should you take a crew schd job now, and then get your license that you would most likely get preference to any new dispatch openings at your airline....but that does not always work either....

If you want to dispatch...my advise is get the license, and then apply for a dispatch position....dont do the crew schd thing unless that is what you wish to do....JMHO.....

Some see it as if you can handle scheduling you can handle anything. We have quite a few crossover schedulers that have made good dispatchers.

777-2H4 said:
I always see lots of Crew Scheduler positions open. Can someone enlighten me about this position? What do they do? The posted requirements don't seem too extensive, not much experience in many cases. Why? is it a good position for someone who wants to learn the airline business, or just a glorified Administrative Assistant type of position? How's the pay in general - similar to Rampers? Is it a high stress job? What is a typical day like?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm very curious.

Scheduling is an awesome place to work! You get paid GREAT - not even close to a ramper! Glorified Admin ass ? Sometimes it seems that way, but more like a first round punching bag prior to the pilot mgt. group! They can only do what you can with the little bit of scraps they are given. Schedulers themselves are not bad people, but they do have a thankless job and usually are just messengers of crappy news for flight crews. Very seldom do they get to give any good news. You'll feel like a punching bag at times, well, that is when you aren't busy surfing the web or doing a number of other non work related stuff.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back