Creating a minimum equipment list for Part 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capt1124

I'm working on creating a minimum equipment list for Part 135 operations. Opspecs.com has the MMELs, but I'm not completely sure what you have to do to customize it. Do you just add or subtract equipment, or do you need to write your own "M" and "O" procedures?

M and O procedures must be added.
I do not recommend adding or subtracting anything from the MMEL unless absolutely necessary.

I've also seen the MMEL's on the FAA web site, listed by model number. Thats the one that the Feds use.

GVJeff said:
M and O procedures must be added.
I do not recommend adding or subtracting anything from the MMEL unless absolutely necessary.

Talk with your PIO. They each have their own ideas on what is right and wrong. Use Order 8400 and 8300 as a guide. Read the appropriate sections and understand them before you start the process. Personally I reccomend that you do not have your special procedures on a separate page. In the old days before computers, you had to do it that way so you didn't have to rewrite the whole document. It is bad enough as it is. You will need to get your DOM and Chief Inspector (if you have one) involved in the process early. The procedures need to be realistic and do-able. If you have more than one of the same type, write it as a fleet program. In that case writing a MEL for each serial number is a whole bunch of violations waiting to happen.

Some will recommend that you have a service write the MEL for you. They do not do fleet MEL's and the ones I have seen ( and I have seen several) are not that great. They tend to be way to conservative.

good luck.

This is not true. We have several MELs written by a service, and honestly I would recommend going with a good service. You will save many headaches that way.

Also, your aircraft manufacturer may be able to provide the O and M procedures to you, and then it's just a matter of customizing for the equipment on your aircraft and retyping or formatting.

Rick1128 said:
Some will recommend that you have a service write the MEL for you. They do not do fleet MEL's and the ones I have seen ( and I have seen several) are not that great. They tend to be way to conservative.

Rick1128 said:
They do not do fleet MEL's and the ones I have seen ( and I have seen several) are not that great. They tend to be way to conservative.

Write it yourself. It will take some work (and I lot of typing), but you get an MEl tailored to your operation, procedures, etc. We have used two services and the format wasn't great and the procedures were totally incorreect in some instances. I've done MEL's for the King Air, Lear 45, Lear 60 and Challener 604. You just need to get the MMEL and go from there. Ask other operators for help with procedures if needed, talk to your FSDO, and get a copy of the 8400. GLN Compliance also has some great information on their website regarding MELs.

Mel

I believe the format is up to you and what your POI will accept. From a straight manpower standpoint it may be cheaper to just buy one off the shelf. Though your POI will still need to approve it.

Our POI makes us put all the items in the MEL regardless of whether they are installed or not. If they are not installed, we have to put "0" installed. "0" required for dispatch. Silly really.

Good Luck,
Shawn

Last edited:
you dont have to do any of that.....just call your FSDO or go online and get a master MEL for your plane, they will give you one. Then you just add your M and O procedures and indicate if certain equip is installed or not(use white out and re-type the line). and then send it in and your done.

Unless you can talk the boss into paying for one.

Latest resources

Back