Crashpads... what's the deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

There is something that has always made me wonder. Why do some pilots lower there standards so low that they will live like absolute bums to save $100 - $200 / month. I'm talking about pilots who live in crashpads that have 4 or more people per room (usually in bunk beds). Seriously, college kids in dorms don't even live that confined. Even worse are the pilots who get one hotel room and put anywhere from 5 - 10 people in there. We're not even talking about an apartment with separate area's like a living room and kitchen... we are talking about one confined area. You won't believe this, but there are some pilots that actually live and sleep in the crew lounge. And I saw this happen at a major airline too when I interned there. So I don't think its isolated to just the regional airlines. They sleep on the couches there and I honestly don't know where they shower. Why don't you just throw down a mat in the terminal so some little kid can say "Hey mommy, look there's the pilot who flew our plane in last night... but why is he sleeping on the terminal floor. Is he homeless?"

I myself am personally staying in a crashpad. The setup I have is my own private room for around $300 per month. And that includes everything and all utilities. The condo has two bathrooms, so that is never an issue. Although a private bathroom would be nice. I realize that most commuters are not there much, but why do some people lower there standards so much? In fact, I'm not even in my crashpad much either. But to have complete privacy when I am there, and a decent setup where I'm not clobbered, seems well worth the extra $100 - $200 I pay over one of the super cheap crashpads. It also allows me to pick up day trips if I want and not sweat it... like a series of 3 days where I end up in my domicile for the night on everyone of those 3 days I am working. I'd also like to add- the other crashpad solution, where guys who pay for their own hotel room when they are there is a viable solution that makes complete sense to me. I just like having a place where I can keep my stuff- like my extra uniform items, extra clothes, and any other misc. stuff. Plus I get high speed internet and digital cable... oh yeah!

I'm not trying to start an argument. I can 100% understand why people don't want to live in certain areas and commute. But why live like a bum when you are there? Do you all of a sudden stop having standards because you are working... but when you are not working and at home in your house with your family, then all of a sudden you have standards and want privacy?

I can easily imagine a scenario where such pilots have considerable debt/expenses when that $100-200 makes a HUGE difference in their budgets. Some may wish to provide good things for their family at home and are willing to sacrifice their own comfort on the road. Further, I can understand that some would value money more than comfort. Many people would have many reasons for doing this. I'm glad no one has to put up with my snoring.

Ummmm, I know this one....

Because they can't afford to do otherwise????

A few years ago, when I was a Part 135 freight puke in the trusty
"rice rocket" (MU-2) I shared a crash pad out of PTK with a Detroit
based Northwest DC-9 f/o. We were both broke, and heavily in debt
at the time, and frankly had little choice.
According to him, Detriot was such a $%#@ hole, that most of the
pilots he knew that were based there refused to move, and commuted
in, due to the high crime, racial tension, and poor quality of life.
To this day I try to economize on the road. As long as we're flying,
Netjets pays for our meals (every other leg) and you can eat quite
well on the company's tab, leaving your per-diem as pocket money.
As for me, I'd rather be grilling up a pair a New York strips at home,
and budgeting while on the road allows me to do that. I think that
many other pilots feel the same way.
Crash pads, (low budget and otherwise) are simply a fact of life for
pilots who choose not to move.

Hi!

I was in a great crashpad in STL for $100/mo., with 8 of us in a small 2 bedroom. I lived there for about 3 weeks while in training. Most of the time, I was alone. A few days there were 2 guys, and once or twice there were 3 or 4.

Why pay more when you have the place to yourself most of the time with 8 in a 2 bedroom? The crashpad I just looked at, they say the average 5-6 nights/month in the pad.

Cliff
GRB

The difference between $300/month (your rent) and $130/month (my rent) adds up to over $2 G's per year. I guess the answer is simple economics. Yes, I have 7 roommates but I hardly ever see more than 2 or 3 at a time and have spent many nights alone. It's a pain sometimes with so many people but I make up for it with the "paid for" vacation I've earned at the end of the year by living cheap. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.....

Well, one can tell by my position that I do not currently need a crashpad, but priorities are different for everyone. And most people dont feel the need to completely maintain to residences even if they be condos apts or whatever. Sacrificing comfort a few days out of the month seems well worth it to me for an extra $200 a month. Even if you are not strapped for cash. An extra $200 a month could go for alot of things more beneficial and a single room with a bathroom and cable.

flight crew,

For further insights, might I suggest reading:

The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
by Thomas J. Phd Stanley, William D., Phd Danko

It's available at amazon.com.

Hrmph. $7.99, with no discounts. Ya got a copy these boys can borrow, Andy? ;)

And while I've got your attention: for when the time comes that I've got the hours to apply for employment with your fine company, I'm wondering if being a native Utahn helps in getting an interview or being hired. Any preference for the hometown crowd?

As a matter of fact, I DO have a copy available for lending. After all, the millionaire next door wouldn't buy the book when he could borrow it, would he?

I've seen more preference given to SkyWest employees (at ANY location) rather than the hometown crowd.

Latest resources

Back