• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

crashpad deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as I know-they are not deductible. People cook up all sorts of tricky stuff to try and deduct things like this, but I think the bottom line with the IRS is that a crashpad is optional-not required for your line of work. So is a car.

Just hope your auditor doesn't understand the airlines, basing and "transportation worker" deductions.

That's the best answer you're going to hear.

Traveling from home to and back from work isn't ever deductable, even if it's long-distance. It's not deductable if it's short distance either.

Think of it this way: if you live in the suburbs and drive to an office job in the city, you don't get to deduct the $.50 per mile. Same if you live in Sacramento and travel to work in Seattle as an airline guy. No deductions for you!

If you travel between two places where you're working, that's deductable. You can play some games with "temporary" assignments, but you still better cross your fingers.

On the other hand, if you're a lucky sorta dude, you can just deduct it off your taxes and go an entire career without an audit and you'll be fine. Are you feeling lucky? Are you?

The only time that the IRS allows expenses for hotels or crashpads is if you are temporarily, that is 6 months or less, away from your home base.

Here is another what if. What if you have two jobs in two different cities? Many of us live at one job (or guard/reserve) and commute to another. I asked a CPA that questioned and it stumped him. Unfortunately, he never got back to me on that one.

Here is another what if. What if you have two jobs in two different cities? Many of us live at one job (or guard/reserve) and commute to another. I asked a CPA that questioned and it stumped him. Unfortunately, he never got back to me on that one.

You CAN claim your crashpad if it is in the same city as your Guard/reserve gig. ie. FDX MEM based and you fly C-5's for the MEM Guard.

Latest resources

Back