Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

srjorion

Smile
I'm about to start commuting while being on reserve for a regional airline and want to know how crash pad life is. What are the ups, downs, good, bad, ugly about living in a crash pad? What are some of your experiences? Any good advice? Anything you wish you had known before you lived in a crash pad? What would you do if you could do it all over again?

I appreciate any and all info.

srj

Bigger apartment (3bdr+) with fewer people per room is a big plus! The cost can still be kept pretty low without having to sleep in someone else's lap. ;)

Get cable, internet and a wireless router!!! ...and your laptop of course! :)

Having an airport car is equally important. You'll need some tires to rotate you to and from the pad. :cool:

See if you can find one that is fixed cost. They are harder to find but are out there. So one month you are not paying 150 and the next 200. That sux to have to fork out the extra 50 buck. Really sux in December. There went some X-mas money. PM me and I will tell you more. I'm starting a 4 day today.

Props

I would look for one close to a Border's or Barnes and Noble. It is nice to have some place to go when the crash pad gets crowded. Being close to a decent movie theater helps as well. This all means you have an airport car, but we had guys in our crash pad that shared the costs of cars as well since you don't really need it all of the time. It seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck,

Look for one with true commuters...I was in one where a few people just lived there, they would stay on days off...thats pretty lame.

as a veteran of 3 crashpads, for me the most important things are

1-close to the airport and accessible by train or bus (I never had a car, but at all 3 I used they were near train stops)

2-close to a grocery store, movie theater, mall, restaurants, etc.
-having this stuff within walking distance is key, since you might freeze
while walking to the store 2 miles away to get some grub

3-the fewer people in it, the better. I was in one once that had plenty of dudes, most on reserve, which equalled lots of people hanging out in a small space. Privacy was hard to come by

beyond that, it's cost, cleanliness, etc. the most I paid was 185, the least was 125.

g'luck

UP

wahoo250 said:
bring a pen to put your name on your food.....
We have a dude in our crashpad that we suspect is eating everyone else' food. So naming your food, in some cases, will not stop a hungry(poor) FO from jacking you. We may have to resort to a hidden camera system.

Another piece of advice, try to minimize the items (food, clothes, bedding, etc) that u leave at the pad. The less you have, the less you have to worry about being stolen, eaten, etc.

Try to get in a pad with females, they usually keep the pad clean, like to cook for a man more often than not and they don't have a tendency to rip a big fart in the middle of Monday Night football. Also, once they feel comfortable around you you'll get some T&A on the side, it sure beats sloppy senconds from da hoe in the back of the ATR.

Thanks!

I appreciate all of the responses and good advice. I'm definitely learning some good stuff from you guys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back