Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Crash Narrowly Averted at LAX (again...)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The trend of Rj and bizjet events seems to be growing at a tremendous rate. This is similar to the issues with the mechanics certified in the late 80's that resulted in Inspector Ray Goglia claiming, that group less talented and able to do the job safely than others. Perhaps it is the factory schools, lack of experience, respect for the job or the lack of a deep background in aviation prior to strapping on an RJ or Bizjet that is causing this round of hazards.

What a stupid comment!!

Last edited:
How experienced do you think the average Gulfstream pilot is? If you think it is comparable to that of an RJ then you obviously have no experience with corporate aviation.

Right on!

A senior captain from my airline left A320 International flying for a Gulfstream PIC job.

It would surprise most of the 'regional' pilots how many major airline PIC/SICs leave those jobs for corporate gigs.

Bunny

Actually the other incident was an RJ to RJ event. This is RJ to bizjet. You have TEB, Ebersol, GOL, CMR and numerous other events that are all centered around this new batch of aviators that are skewing the numbers.

So, the Delta 757 'tail-strike' recently (when the F/O couldn't recover from an unstablilized approach and the PIC completely failed to prevent the incident) would also fall in to 'batch of new aviators' category then?

Actually the other incident was an RJ to RJ event. This is RJ to bizjet. You have TEB, Ebersol, GOL, CMR and numerous other events that are all centered around this new batch of aviators that are skewing the numbers.

How experienced were the G-whiz drivers that crashed landing in Aspen? What about the Gulfstream pilots that ran off the runway in PWK and put the aircraft in a ditch? How about all the Challenger pilots that keep running off runways?

What about experience of the AirTran crew that flew through two level-six thunderstorms? Or the NWA crew that forgot to set flaps for takeoff? Or the AA crew that flew into the mountain in Cali? Or the Eastern crew that decended a perfectly good airplane into the Everglades? Or the United DC8 crew that forgot to check their fuel quantity while holding?

This is not a 'corporate and regional pilots are less experienced and therefore less safe than their major (or in your supposed case, UNITED) counterparts issue.

Congrats on making some Flightinfo-worthy flamebait though!

Right on!

A senior captain from my airline left A320 International flying for a Gulfstream PIC job.

It would surprise most of the 'regional' pilots how many major airline PIC/SICs leave those jobs for corporate gigs.

Bunny

Teterboro has had several crashes recently. One was Gulfstream that wound up off the runway on landing by inadvertantly activating the A/T during the approach. The Challenger at TEB was also a significant event and don't forget the Ebersol crash. The trend in Corporate aviation is spiking and that has been proven by several studies. Even AIN had a report on this last year. The NBAA is even looking at the stats. Perhaps it is CRM or the wink and a nod training that is given at FSI or some of the other training centers.

As for how difficult it is to get a corporate job. Most of the lifers I know in long term corporate jobs had previous issues that kept them there. Put that guy with the kid that is willing to polish the plane just to fly a bizjet and CRM is gone out the window.

Why would the Legacy crew not notice the TXP not working. Does it not give an EICAS message if not working in flight or some other type of advisory? All the airplanes I have flown with glass and TCAS have had such systems.

What's rotation speed for an RJ? They said it was near 115mph when it braked (instead of pulling up). Just curious what the rot. speed is.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be whoever was flying the Gulfstream

As for how difficult it is to get a corporate job. Most of the lifers I know in long term corporate jobs had previous issues that kept them there. Put that guy with the kid that is willing to polish the plane just to fly a bizjet and CRM is gone out the window.

While this may be the case with a few outfits, I respectfully have to disagree that this is the norm in corporate aviation....especially when it comes to Gulfstream jobs.

Latest resources

Back