Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

** Report created 03/26/2002 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 22EV Make/Model: PA18 Description: PA-18 Super Cub (L-18C, L-21,
Date: 03/25/2002 Time: 1430

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Serious Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
ACFT PASSENGER ACCIDENTLY DISCHARGED HIS SHOTGUN WHILE COYOTE HUNTING AND
SHOT THE RIGHT WING OF THE ACFT, THE ACFT SUBSEQUENTLY CRASHED, AND THE 2
POB SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES, GLASGOW, MT.

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR GGW 251356Z 11018KT 10SM CLR M13/M16 A3014

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: General Aviation

Departed: UNKN Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: UNKN Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: UNKN
Last Clearance: UNKN

FAA FSDO: HELENA, MT (NM05) Entry date: 03/26/2002

LOL

When i was based in Worland, WY the locals flew around their cubs, brought along their shot guns and went hunting all the time. Guess this time they got a cub and not a coyote!

Hey, Answerguy, when were you based in Worland. I grew up there.....

Sky Aviation in WRL uses Arctic Terns, not cubs.

The fact that someone thinks shooting coyotes from the air is a "doh" issue, demonstrates a lack of understanding from the topic. The federal government pays for these programs, and there are more than a few folks who make a living doing this. Predator control is big business, especially in cattle and sheep country.

Just because an activity is outside one's range of experience, don't knock what isn't understood. It's legitimate, acceptable,and performed by people who know how to fly an airplane, rather than drive it.

Don't knock the fact that an accident, occured either. There before the grace of God go we all. Many good men have died in preventable events, but they'll continue to happen, and more will be lost. Learn from them to be sure, but don't be too quick to condemn the dead to eternal stupidity because you don't understand.

WRL

Thanks for clearing that up, I always thought they were some crazy cowboys screwing around.
Another thing that i found interesting about WRL is how they would start up the AG-CATS, chalk the wheel, then go inside and have coffee while they warmed up for 10-15.

Avbug, relax buddy. Some people don't know the in's and out's of backwoods flying. I used to hunt coyotes and fox out of my PA-11 with a government permit. You'd be surprised how many people didn't know that was legal (with the right gov't permit). Just give them a little FYI, no need to lecture anyone.

And for those Ag-cats, that's common practice. Let it fire, drink another pot of coffee so the oil can circulate. With nine cylinders on those big 'ol radials, it takes awhile for the oil to warm up and get distributed. Out in MT, deer season comes along and half of those crazy ba$tards hunt out of their Cubs anyway. In Big Sky country, there's lots of space, and you don't usually get caught. For the most part, it is crazy cowboys screwing around!!! :D

Last edited:
The R985's and 1340's don't take time to warm because there are so many cylinders; with more cylinders firing, the time which is required to warm up is actually less. What takes so long is the fact that the oil is dry sump, with the tank being located away from the engine. The entire engine must be warmed, and it's different on a radial than warming a horizontally opposed engine.

Additionally, the engine must be cleared, and fouled plugs and oil in the lower cylindes are common. The engine won't run right until it's warm. It needs to be run at low idle RPM's until the oil flows freely; what lubricates at 800 rpm's doesn't suffice at 2100.

Leaving the airplane chocked and running is not common practice among ag operators. I've certainly never done it. Placing cardboard over the oil cooler and sitting in the airplane is common, but not leaving the airplane on it's own.

In certain back country situations, I've chocked a wheel with a rock, put the engine on one mag at idle, and loaded people and bags, but only under certain circumstances. In such places, these activities aren't unusual.

I don't recall meeting any crazy cowboys screwing around up there. I must have missed them. In Montana and Wyoming, hunting and flying on the same day is illegal, as it is in most states. Most folks I knew recognized that fact, and respected it. Government sanctioned activities such as predator control, are another matter, and are legitimate.

By looking at the NTSB database you'll find several accidents every year in AK where someone shoots themselves down. Sometimes its legal acctivity, sometimes it's not....

Also, on the subject of airplanes running without anyone in them. When I was towing banners for a living, we had no starters on the aircraft we flew (mostly J series cubs and PA-18s), so it was commin practice to hook a tiedown rope to a spare tow release, prop yourself off, get in and pull the release. Couple of times I pulled the wrong bloody release and had to get out again to put my hook back on.......

Latest resources

Back