Cover Letters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lr23sic

Does everybody send a cover letter when they Fax or E-mail a resume? where are some places to get good examples of cover letters to send out.

Thanks
Tom

Two responses or the price of one post

(1) You always include a cover letter any time you transmit a resume, completed application, or any other document to a pilot recruiter.

The cover letter serves a number of important functions:

(A) It states that you are transmitting the document.

(B) It affords the opportunity to capsulize your credentials.

(C) It gives you another opportunity to sell yourself.

(D) It gives you another chance to ask for an interview.

(2) Having said all that, here's a sample cover letter:

January 16, 2004

TRANSMITTED BY FACSIMILE (123) 456-7890
Joe Blow, Pilot Recruiter
CheapAir Airlines
123 Fourth Street
Podunk, USA 12345

Dear Mr. Blow:

Please consider me an applicant for a Flight Officer position with CheapAir Airlines. Enclosed is my resume.

My qualifications include an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, a First Class Medical Certificate, 2000 total hours, 700 multi, 500 turbine pilot-in-command, and a four-year college degree. I have been employed as a pilot for Just On Time Air Taxi Service in East Armpit, Alabama. Just On Time hired me originally as a First Officer for its KingAirs. Last year, I was promoted to Chief Pilot and check airman.

The recent Podunk Times business section feature on CheapAir stated how the company has acquired new EAS routes and will be adding staff during 2004. Perhaps you might find my experience and abilities valuable as the company expands.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to present my qualifications in person. Thank you for your time and for considering me for employment with CheapAir.

Sincerely,

lr23sic

Something like that.

I, personally, don't like to fax resumes. We've had openings at my work, and faxed resumes, in my $0.02 opinion, just don't cut it (although it was the only means publicized for applicants to apply to our lawfirm). Faxes often arrive looking dull and barely legible, and the flight times on your resume can print inaccurately. That could hurt your chances gravely after the company scans your resume. I prefer to send materials by ordinary mail. They arrive fresh, crisp and clear. But that is just me. Overnight mail might be okay.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
Good Point

... however when I sent my reume to Podunk, USA, the Post Office sent it back as No Such Address. Just my .37 cents worth.

Re: Two responses or the price of one post

bobbysamd said:
(1) You always include a cover letter any time you transmit a resume, completed application, or any other document to a pilot recruiter.

Does a resume handed personally to the boss of the FBO need a cover letter? I'm just not sure because of by transmit, do you mean send by any other means than walking it in?

Re: Re: Two responses or the price of one post

Visceral said:
Does a resume handed personally to the boss of the FBO need a cover letter? I'm just not sure because of by transmit, do you mean send by any other means than walking it in?

Are you on a personal basis with the Boss of the FBO? If not, I would show him/her the respect by putting a cover letter with your resume, in case they do not have the time to talk to you right then.

Cover letters

Visceral said:
Sure, it does, for all and the same reasons provided above. A cover letter serves as a letter of introduction. It sets forth the reason why you're applying, why you should be hired and your request for the interview. Not including a cover letter makes your application impersonal and conveys the impression that you're not that interested in the job. Don't give the cover letter short shrift.

I did read the comment that Air Tran does not want cover letters. Whatever, but cover letters are the norm and not the exception.

Just have to second Kathy at www.awriteresume.com

She put together a great package (including acover letter) for me during my job hunt, then helped with my resignation and thank you letters. Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back