Cover Letters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Xfr8dog

Anyone ever write one? Submit one? Do pilots do this kind of thing? If so is there a good link to some examples?

-thanks

Got you covered

I have written a couple cover letters, and each one of them has been different.
It would seem that many individuals have a lot of different ideas about this quirky little one or two paragraph introduction. I can't tell you I do it ‘correctly’, but I can tell you what I do and maybe some one else will pitch in. To begin with, I find it a good idea to know whom your audience is when ever you write. Even when you are writing to an aviation firm the guy in HR may not understand that a guy with an ATP pilot applicant is instrument proficient. I applied for a Government position back in Feb and a month later they wrote back and stated that I did not appear to have any instrument skills and that I should read the job notice better next time. I wrote them back, I think I had to much fun writing that letter as I have not heard back as of yet. So if possible write the letter to a particular individual or if you cannot make sure your qualification are simple enough so that a non-aviator can understand. That said the cover letter is simply a means of introducing yourself to a total stranger and giving him a reason to continue to your resume. Should you not have a single argument why he should continue to your resume you have written a poor cover letter and you need to start over again. I have heard one of my friends once say it is a sale’s pitch that sells the employer on you. Just one word of caution don’t over do it on the accolades, keep it simple. Think of it like an advertisement. I bet you can tell me who the seller is if I say, “ JUST DO IT".

Somewhere on this board, bobbysamd posted a cover letter template that looked pretty good. Try doing a search on cover letters with bobby's screen name and see if you can find it.

Latest resources

Back