Couple vision questions.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeC

What's that airlines views on vision? I did a search and didn't come up with a lot. I'm probably around 20/200 uncorrected, but 20/15 with contacts. Would that be a problem? Also, where do they stand on eye surgeries? RK, Laser, butterknife, etc... Also, same for Military as well if anyone knows. Thanks!!

As long as you're correctable to 20/20 or better you will be fine. Lasik is approved.. Go to Avweb and do a search on the topic.. A lot of good info there.

Navy and Marines allow PRK (probably Coast Guard too but that is a guess). LASIK is under consideration now but not approved yet. I personally know two in the last year (1 Navy, 1 Marine) that had PRK done. One of the two went from ~ 20/200 in both eyes to 20/15 right & 20/10 left - pretty darn remarkable. No restrictions on the PRK folks that I know of - one is in the syllabus to fly jets the other (the one with the remarkable vision) is just starting out. Still, I'd encourage you to check out all the official rules that may apply before entering... like whether there is a waiting period or anything.

Do a search on this website if there are no posts that cover the Air Force. I know this topic has been discussed before.

Good luck,
Mike

I thought that the Air Force was approved, and the waiting period was six months?

Vision

Interesting. As recently as eight years ago, any kind of surgical vision correction guaranteed a busride home from an airline interview. It happened to someone I know. Do check out each company's requirements thoroughly before you let a doctor take a knife to your eyes.

I do understand that if you have vision correction surgery you have to have your eye care professional fill out an FAA Form 8500-7, "Report of Eye Evaluation," and you will be issued a SODA.

PS-Do follow chperplt's suggestion and run a search on Avweb, especially this article: Vision Correction Surgery for Pilots: Is Lasik the Holly Grail." Very interesting information, especially about unsuccessful eye surgery. Gives one pause.

PPS-Here's another article on eye surgery. http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/1685.52814

Last edited:
Actually, if you have surgery you do have to fill out the "Report of Eye Evaluation," but you do not get issued, nor do you need, a SODA (statement of demonstrated ability). Once the form is filled out and submitted to the FAA, end of story, assuming no other problems.

Latest resources

Back