Couple rounds with Sugar Ray

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagleflip

Be up front about it. Before the interviewer asks about it (I'll be he's thinking about it already, though...) just offer up a quick explanation with a smile, e.g.

"Sorry about the bruises, but I stay in shape by playing XXX, and I was accidentally hit by one of my buddies. I'll be back to my normal good looks by next Monday." (Use the 'good looks' thing only if the interviewer seems to have a sense of humor)

Again, say it with a slight sense of humor and then move on and it should go over just fine.

Actually, you could use this incident to your advantage. As long as you address the injury and then move on to ask intelligent questions and present a professional resume, you should have a recognition factor above the rest of the gang.

As my Dad used to say, "Son, when they hand you lemons, make lemonade..." Best of luck!

I agree with Eagle, use you bruises to help you stand out.

When I was in for my SWA interview the first guy who came out to get me called me by the wrong name. He was very apologetic afterwards but then the second interviewer came out and called for the same incorrect name then started laughing about it telling me that the first interviewer had put her up to it. So when I saw the guy that interviewed me first I called him by the wrong first name, then he corrected me, then he, the second interviewer and I had a good laugh about it when they realized I was doing to them right back what they had done to me. Same thing happened with the third interviewer I had, so I again called my second interviewer by the wrong name, and so on...

It was a great ice breaker with all 3 interviews. My second interviewer worked in the People Dept. and I was asking her about jobs for my sis. She gave me her email and told my to have my sis email her a resume and to mention that her bro had interviewed with her on that particular day. I wore a fish tie to my interview, a tastleful one mind you, and told the PD girl I'd tell my sis to mention the fish tie, the girl agreed that was a great idea, she would remember the tie.

Sorry for the ramble, but use whatever you can to help you stand out in todays tough job market. Good Luck!

Chicaga,

I'm not trying to sound like your mother, and you've probably heard this before, but you should think about investing in a cage or a plastic shield. A couple of months ago, I took a one-timer from a bad angle that just missed the far post, but didn't miss my teammates mouth. It knocked out three of his front teeth. This was the moment that convinced me to retire the Gretzky Jofa eggshell and buy a real helmet with some face protection (and my face needs all the protection it can get). I HATE the shield, but taking the chance of taking a stick in the eye, a'la Brian Berard, just isn't worth it.

Not preachin' to ya, just giving you my .02c.

Go RedWings!

later

I'll see you at the Conference this weekend. If it does look too bad, I'll have my make-up bag available......

I prefer the previous intel -- use it as an ice-breaker -- it shows that you are active in other areas of your life (besides aviation), which equates to the fact that you are a well-rounded (or bruised in this case) individual.

Hey FlyChicaga,

enough with the roller hockey story we all know what happened.
A girl beat you up because you tried to steal her Yanni CD,
Admit it
:)

D

Im with Brett Hull on this one. I am an avid hockey player Roller and Ice. The only thing is a shield is not going to help you out that much. you will keep your eyes, but teeth....well that is another story. I wear a half shield and have had some close calls. Luckily I still have my teeth (thanks in part to mouthpiece). The only thing that is going to keep you from adding scars to the face is a full cage. I personally dont wear one because I can't see a dammmm thing with one on.

Besides ... chicks dig hockey players.. and unless you are too screwed up the sympathy factor helps out.........

"that is a very deep gash"

"are you in pain?...No it hurts like hell"

putting on the foil.....yeah coach..every game

The sympathy factor works. You tell her you were in a fight and she leaves. But you tell her it was a hockey accident, and she wants to play nurse.

Sure it hurts for a little while.....but there are rewards

I just hope there is a female on the interview board... you are in like flynn

Broken collarbone

I broke my collarbone in a bicycle accident just three weeks before my interviews. I had a brace on under my suit and had occasional twinges of pain. My line was "If you see a grimace on my face, it may be because you asked me a difficult question. But, I just broke my collarbone a couple of weeks ago and it's more likely just a twinge of pain from that." Make light of it and press on. These things happen. Interviewers are human and they understand.

hey flychicaga.
Did you know there is an undergrad tournament this spring starting after break. $25 for an individual, 4 levels of skill. Get your ice hockey gear down here and we'll go to rat hockey sometime, or sign up for the torunament.
Later.
RGS

What is this "ice hockey" that you guys keep speaking of? Is this some Northern thing? :D

Latest resources

Back