couple of ?s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

want2fly

Having trouble finding the answers to these questions. Where is the touchdown zone located? Does anyone know where to find the definition of "touchdown zone"? I wasn't able to find it in the FAR's. What is the Rabbit? (lights) If you are assigned an altitude on the missed approach that's lower than the MSA, can you accept it?

Thanks.

Touchdown Zone can be found in the Pilot/Controller Glossary of the AIM.

Rabbits are sequenced flashers in an approach lighting system. Sometimes they are before the lighting system and sometime they are within the lighting system.........but I guess that would be splitting hares :).

Yes, you can accept an altitude on missed lower than the MSA. It won't be lower than the MVA (minimum vectoring altitude) but you don't have any reference as to what that would be. You could probably go to most Missed Approach Procedures and see altitudes that are less than the MSA.

Last edited:
AZaviator said:
Touchdown zone can be defined as the first 3,000ft of the runway.

What if the runway is only 3,000 ft? if it is 5,000 ft and I touch down at 2,999 ft down is that ok? Oh, I am doing 125 kts at touchdown....

Runway Touchdown Zone Markers: The touchdown zone markings identify the touchdown zone for landing operations and are coded to provide distance information in 500 feet (150m) increments. These markings consist of groups of one, two, and three rectangular bars symmetrically arranged in pairs about the runway centerline, Precision Instrument Runway Markings. For runways having touchdown zone markings on both ends, those pairs of markings which extend to within 900 feet (270m) of the midpoint between the thresholds are eliminated.

Last edited:
What if the runway is only 3,000 ft? if it is 5,000 ft and I touch down at 2,999 ft down is that ok? Oh, I am doing 125 kts at touchdown....

Nope, I'd say that definitely is not OK. (Unless you fly for Soutwest) However, you still would have landed in the touchdown zone, which is defined as the first 3,000' of the landing surface.

FlyinBrian said:

Nope, I'd say that definitely is not OK. (Unless you fly for Soutwest) However, you still would have landed in the touchdown zone, which is defined as the first 3,000' of the landing surface.

First 3,000 ft or first half, whichever is shorter, is the correct definition, I believe. Of course, I don't have a FAR/AIM laying infront of me too look.

Some airlines describe it differently. Our's is first 3,000 or first 1/3rd.

Patriot

Latest resources

Back