• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Couple Jepp Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
it's in the intro to the jepp's somewhere. the only reason i remember it was because the examiner asked me that question on my atp ride. he then went into a 5 min speech on what it is and why it's important.

microbrewst said:
it's in the intro to the jepp's somewhere. the only reason i remember it was because the examiner asked me that question on my atp ride. he then went into a 5 min speech on what it is and why it's important.
If you're fat, dumb & happy above your minimum IFR altitude....why is it important? (I mean why is it important of the 3,000 in 10 or >5,000msl...not why is knowing you're in mountainous terrain important...)

-mini

minitour said:
If you're fat, dumb & happy above your minimum IFR altitude....why is it important? (I mean why is it important of the 3,000 in 10 or >5,000msl...not why is knowing you're in mountainous terrain important...)

-mini
For me, a big issue with mountainous terrain is abiltiy to avoid icing conditions and having to use oxygen. Icing is especially a problem in the Rocky's with minimum IFR altitudes. If you're not in designated mountainous terrain, you have more freedom to use a smaller, less equiped plane flying below the freezing level.

Doesn't anyone ever look at all that information between the update log and the enroute charts? Try looking at US-3 behind the Enroute tab. You will find a depiction of the mountainous terrain. If that is too hard, find the highest obstacle in the quadrant and check the MSA. If the MSA is 2000 feet higher than the highest obstacle than you are in mountainous terrain.

time builder said:
For me, a big issue with mountainous terrain is abiltiy to avoid icing conditions and having to use oxygen. Icing is especially a problem in the Rocky's with minimum IFR altitudes. If you're not in designated mountainous terrain, you have more freedom to use a smaller, less equiped plane flying below the freezing level.

I understand that, I thought he was saying the examiner was explaining why it was important to know the definition of mountainous terrain (3000' in 10 or 5k MSL).

Obviously there are probably hundreds of reasons I can think of and another few hundred I can't that make it a good idea to know when you're in mountainous terrain. I just didn't understand why knowing the definition made a difference if you're fat, dumb & happy above your minimum IFR altitude. If you're below that, I'd be wondering "is this where the terrain changes?"...things like dat.

-mini

Probably just one of those things interviewers and examiners use to see the applicants depth of knowledge. One who responds 3000 in 10 or above 5000 will look real smart, wheras those of us who refer to the map in the AIM or the MOCAs or MORAs might pass, but won't look as good.
In the examiner's case, I'd imagine he feels he has to get preachy at some point in the exam, otherwise applicant will think he can coast from there.
My CP is like that, Ex-military/FAA, DE on the side. Even our ACP dreads flying with him because he'll nit pick at you to make sure you're always striving to do better, even if you're well above standards.

it's "interview-ology": the study of things you will only need to know in an interview. On the line, this stuff means jack.

Last edited:
microbrewst said:
it's "interview-ology": the study of things you will only need to know in an interview. On the line, this stuff means jack.

ah-hah! I knew my commercial DPE made me memorize the airworthiness and registration certificates for a reason....

Guess ya never know what you're going to need to know in an interview.

-mini

Any one know if you can decifer mountainous terrain from non-mountainous terrain on a low altitude enroute chart?

You can determine whether an area is considered as "mountainous terrain" by looking at the GRID MORA on a Jeppesen chart.

GRID MORA's 6,000' or lower indicate an area of non-mountainous terrain and a 1,000' obstacle clearance.

GRID MORA's 7,000' or higher imply mountainous terrain and a 2,000' obstacle clearance.

GRID MORA's below 14,000' are GREEN

GRID MORA's above 14,000' are RED

Amish.

Latest resources

Back