Couple Jepp Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotlbs

Any one know if you can decifer mountainous terrain from non-mountainous terrain on a low altitude enroute chart?
What is the difference between a shadowed navaid identification box vs. a non-shadowed one vs. no box at all?
Thanks folks.

pilotlbs said:
Any one know if you can decifer mountainous terrain from non-mountainous terrain on a low altitude enroute chart?
What is the difference between a shadowed navaid identification box vs. a non-shadowed one vs. no box at all?
Thanks folks.

Shadow box navaids are ones that are part of a published airway. This includes VORs and NDBs. Conversely, off-airway navaids are unboxed. Not sure what you mean by a non-shadowed box, however; someone else can answer that. I can't say that I've seen what you are referring to here.

I don't think low enroute charts specifically identify mountainous terrain. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that the grid MORAs, minimum off-route altitudes, that are below 14,000' are green. 14,000' and higher they are red. These are one indication that high terrain exists in the area.

If you haven't already, take some time to read the introduction section included in with your Jepp order. It contains the legends for low/high enroute, SID/STAR, approach, et al. charts. That section is priceless!

CaptETWes said:
Shadow box navaids are ones that are part of a published airway. This includes VORs and NDBs. Conversely, off-airway navaids are unboxed. Not sure what you mean by a non-shadowed box, however; someone else can answer that. I can't say that I've seen what you are referring to here.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've read the legend a couple times and unfortunately that's what leads to the questions sometimes. Check out Pg. 57 of the introduction, I don't know if they'll be the same. Anyhow on the right side, middle of the page is what I meant by an un-shadowed box. It says VOR (Off-Route), but in the legend I don't see something referring to that. I just see what you had said up there about non-boxed being off airway. Thanks again. Oh btw, the reason I ask about the mountainous terrain on the Enroutes is because I saw it on some gouge, but I've never known you could decifer between them or if you even can.

I believe there is a separate chart altogether that identifies what the FAA calls mountainous terrain. Perhaps it's in the Enroute tabbed section. It's only one page and unfolds a bit. Anyhow, that's off the top of my head.

Good luck with your interview(s), if that's what you are studying for. You're doing exactly what I did in preparation for the 3 of mine and I learned a great deal. Take care.

The AIM has a chart marking mountainous terrain. That's what I said in my interview, and the CP accepted it. There is a more precise answer, something to do with being west of the Miss. with the exception of the Central Valley in California. I've been meaning to look that up if in case I ever interview with SkyWest.

time builder said:
There is a more precise answer, something to do with being west of the Miss. with the exception of the Central Valley in California.

So, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska are mountainous?

there is no difference betweeen the shadow / non-shadow boxes.

no box = not part of an airway.

mountainous terrain = 3000ft change in 10nm OR above 5000ft MSL

A Squared said:
So, Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska are mountainous?
Well, having tried to cross from Kansas into Missouri around the St. Joseph area with 600-ft ceilings, it sure seemed like it at the time! ;)

Fly safe!

David

microbrewst said:
mountainous terrain = 3000ft change in 10nm OR above 5000ft MSL

That sounds familiar, where do you find that definition?

West of the miss. didn't sound right to me either, more like west of Denver.
I'm just trying to remember the answer I was given that makes you look sharp to Skywest.

Latest resources

Back