Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iflyamouse

Is it time for lunch yet?
I figure someone here will know the answer to this one ... Say a guy has 1500TT ... 1200 fixed wing and 300 Rotorcraft. Is he eligible for an ATP assuming all of the instrument / x country times are met? 61.159 doesn't differentiate fixed wing vs rotorcraft.

Any ideas?

Fw/rw atp

Okay, I’ll try to tackle this. Over twenty years ago I had an ATP helicopter and added MEL to it. A bit different then what you are asking but the process should be the same. Let's look at the regs and ask the following questions.

61.159(a)(1) Do you have 500 hours of cross-country time? (Doesn’t matter FW or RW)

61.159(a)(2) Do you have 100 hours of night flight time? (Doesn’t matter FW or RW)

61.159(a)(3) Do you have 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument flight time? (Doesn’t matter FW or RW)

61.159(a)(4) Do you have 250 hours as PIC of airplane? (Airplane time only)

61.159(a) Do you have 1500 hours of total time as a pilot? (Doesn’t matter FW or RW)

It is my understanding that where the regulations specifically says in airplane it has to be airplane time. If it states helicopter, it has to be helicopter time. If it doesn’t state either then both count. I hope this helps.

This was my experience as well when getting an ATP MEL on top of an existing Comm Helo & SEL while I was on active duty flying the BE-200.

Except that the FAA examiner who did my check ride came back afterwards to confirm that my cross country time was "all airplane time". As I did have 500 hours + of airplane CC time logged I didn't have to argue the point.

But it does point out that while it should not be, some examiners may interpret the rules differently and you should be prepared to duke it out if necessary, figuratively speaking of course. Don't punch the examiner. :)

Latest resources

Back