Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Could new work and duty rules bump the need for pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They could try...

Don't think it would get them very far. Shutting off CASS and revoking pass benefits is akin to "cutting off your nose to spite your face". You're saying they'd DELIBERATELY cut off 70% of their pilot force from being able to get to work?

No other way to say it, after 17+ years in the business, I completely disagree with you.

Sorry Lear, but I disagree with you. I've seen companies "cut off thier nose" to keep labor in check. Delta/Comair 2001 comes to mind. How much did that cost them again? If you think you'll get more days off and more pay because these new rules might conflict with your CBA, you're dreaming. And yes, trying to make pilots live in domicile will cause a backlash unlike anyone has ever seen (many flights X'ld). In my 12 yrs experience at more than one airline i've learned this: Management does not give up even the simplest of things with out a huge fight.

My fear is that this will mean more days at work with less pay. I'm sure management is already thinking of ways to screw over the pilots with this.

Bingo. A dark lining around a silver cloud.

Sorry Lear, but I disagree with you. I've seen companies "cut off thier nose" to keep labor in check. Delta/Comair 2001 comes to mind. How much did that cost them again? If you think you'll get more days off and more pay because these new rules might conflict with your CBA, you're dreaming. And yes, trying to make pilots live in domicile will cause a backlash unlike anyone has ever seen (many flights X'ld). In my 12 yrs experience at more than one airline i've learned this: Management does not give up even the simplest of things with out a huge fight.

Back then airlines had money to burn, they're in a tougher situation now.

They might be able to curtail commuting, but I already know pilots who are driving 4-5 hours to work because commuting has gotten so tough. They won't be able to end commuting, they'll just change the way pilots do it, and crews won't be any more rested.

Good luck requiring thousands of people to move to base. I could not sell my house due to it being worth less now than I paid for it. I want to sell now but no way to come up with the difference. Pay for two homes to work at a regional? I don't think so.

Gate way basing. You start your trip out of your hometown airport. The fractionals and most supplemental air carriers do this, and it seems to work.
If commuting rules are implemented in such a way as to increase time away from home, I predict many pilots will seek other careers. Including myself.

Gate way basing. You start your trip out of your hometown airport. The fractionals and most supplemental air carriers do this, and it seems to work.
If commuting rules are implemented in such a way as to increase time away from home, I predict many pilots will seek other careers. Including myself.

There just isn't any easy solution for this.

If the airlines are forced to eat higher labor costs, tickets will become more expensive. More expensive tickets mean that there will be less of a demand for pilots, eventually.

There are many possible outcomes to this initiative, but all of them have downsides for pilots as well as benefits.

Nice touch of reality

There just isn't any easy solution for this.

If the airlines are forced to eat higher labor costs, tickets will become more expensive. More expensive tickets mean that there will be less of a demand for pilots, eventually.

There are many possible outcomes to this initiative, but all of them have downsides for pilots as well as benefits.
Again a recognition that there are down sides as well as up sides

Simple answer. Same airline revenue ='s more pilots at less pay. Increased ticket prices to pay for more pilots ='s fewer riders, fewer trips, and fewer pilots at the same pay.

OR less money to share holders and EXECUTIVES to pay us what we are worth.

In base requirement will never fly maybe a in network requirement so that airlines can keep better track of the commuting. But realistically nothing is going to happen maybe more emphasis on the pilots to self policing rest.

down side

OR less money to share holders and EXECUTIVES to pay us what we are worth.
Who would invest money in business that does give them a return? How would an airline rasie money to buy airplanes and create jobs? The consumer determines what you are worth by buying tickets on your airline. If your ticket prices are higher than another airline, they will purchase the other airlines tickets. I saw an article in ATW in 2001 that stated at DAL there were 17 members of top management made more than the top DAL Captain. The combined top 17 salaries equaled less than 1/6 of 1% of the combined pilot salaries. If top 17 managers worked for free all pilots in the company would get a 1/10 of 1% raise. (for a $100K per year pilot that would be $3/wk increase in take home) Boy that raise would really make the pilot group happy. Top management possesses skills that allow them to move from job to job and command high salaries. And every one of these managers wants to see his/her airline prosper. They just can not do it.

Latest resources

Back