• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Costco kirkland rollaboard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's all cheap stuff, guys! I have a "Purdy Neat Stuff" bag I bought years ago. Built like a tank...

Yep, and weighs as much as one. It has the added bonus of having its metal feet shaved down to a razor edge during normal wear-and-tear, requiring extreme care not to injure other people (or myself) fishing it out of the overhead bin.

I retired my PNS a few years ago. It rolled very nicely on its skate wheels and held plenty of stuff, but I didn't much care for owning it overall. I was constantly re-tightening screws on it, the smaller zippers failed in short order, and the supposedly-indestructible cast-metal frame cracked on me, which I noticed when I was trying to replace the wheels and the frame started peeling apart. I had to ship it to them and pay ~$100 to get it fixed, which was an expensive pain in the neck.

I kept it going for about eight years, which ended up costing several hundred dollars in parts and repair service. In the end, I gave it to a coworker who wanted one, and moved to the Costco bag. I'm happy with the switch.

I've had a Briggs and Riley for about 10 years now. Costs about as much as a pns bag but has a lifetime warranty. I had it for 7 years as an rj driver and it held up great. Anytime I had something wear out they fixed if for free. Now that I fly the bus it doesn't get subjected to as much wear and tear since I don't have to shove it into the closet or carry a flight case.

Yeah drop a PNS on your toe and see how that feels. Too heavy for me, plus with steel corners that are second only to the 737 cockpit for OJI potential.

You guys got to be f'in kidding me. What kind of weak dick pussies are you anyway? Complaining about the weight of a bag with wheels that you roll.

You guys got to be f'in kidding me. What kind of weak dick pussies are you anyway? Complaining about the weight of a bag with wheels that you roll.

You may be unaware of this new invention called the "overhead bin," which many pilots use in their commutes.

I have a friend (a former US Airways pilot) who had a career-ending back injury hoisting a bag. So yeah, I'll be "weak" if that means doing what I can to prevent a back injury. It takes a lot less weight than you think.

Last edited:
I have the Costco bag too. You can't beat the price for what it offers. If you have a big ego and can't drag around a Costco bag, then go pizz away your money on one of those heavy custom bags. Since you probably don't get paid worth a !@#$ in this industry, save your coin and spend the left over $$ on your family.

Gotta laugh that this could get twisted around to who's more macho and has a heavier bag!:)
Simple fact is that there are in fact a lot of back injuries in our line of work caused by twisting and lifting a suitcase or flight bag. Doesn't matter how strong you are. We sit for a living, couple that with getting out of your seat, twisting into an unnatural position and than lifting something is a great way to tweak your backs. No I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I am married to a Physical Therapist!
Personally, I feel the lighter I travel the better, it's just more pleasant that way. But to each his own, if you are impressed with a heavy bag go for it.

Roll aboard

If we could retire ( with the our pre give back retirement dollars ) at a decent age before old age sets in maybe our backs would not go out lifting a 35lb bag 6 ft in the air.

The PNS bag is an overpriced pile of metal with cheap screws and haphazardly assembled. I had every zipper fall apart, every zip handle come off, every screw constantly loose, and that all started not long after owning the bag. The razor sharp edges ruined my shoes too.

The only positive is that it balances with a flight kit.

Quote to repair was 175.00.

My 26 in. PNS bag just started it's 11th season w/ one $150 rebuild 3-4 yrs ago.two small pocket zippers are inop, but otherwise it's still hanging in there.
Since we longer have to carry charts(a career highlight), I'm thinking that I don't need a tank bag anymore. I've looked at the Plastic framed PNS bags, but don't know how durable they are. I will have to check out the Costco bags.

Latest resources

Back