Cost of tuition to have a career as a pilot question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bernie19

Hello, My name is Eric and I'm new to the board. I am a 31 year old engineer and I want to change career paths in life. I am very interested in becoming a pilot. I have taken an introductory flight and I loved it. I have been looking into flight schools in the Cleveland that take financial aid. I am filling out the Sallie Mae loan papers and I need to know how much of a loan I need to take out. My wife's friend is a pilot and flies a cargo plan and he says it cost him about $19000 to $20000 to get to where he is. But when I spoke to someone at www.pilotcareer.org they said I need to take out around $60000 to work for an airline. Why so much of a difference? As of right now I don't care if I fly for an airline, charter, or flight instructor. I would just like to have a career as a pilot. Does anyone know how much I will need to get a job as a pilot (it doesn't have to be with a major airline)? Thank you for any info.

You want to leave a good job as an engineer to be a pilot? That takes some big cahones. I recommend that you don't due anything too drastic like quit your job. Hang around here and get a good perspective of what you'll be dealing with. Taking out a loan for 60k to hopefully get a job as a cfi for 12k/yr or work for an airline for 18k/yr can be a tough road. Those flight schools will tell you anything to get your $. Do the math. Just be careful and make an informed decision. If you just want to be a pilot. Keep your job as an engineer and pay as you go. Your income potential is much highter in your chosen profession. Then just rent a plane whenever you want to fly. I am not trying to discourage you from following your dreams, just trying to give you some perspective. I'm not the most experienced person, by far, but I would be glad to answer any specific questions. Just PM me.

well said.

my advice...go get your private and instrument...that will take a while, you will meet lots of CFIs, pilots, etc...get a feel for the business - and worse thing that happens if you say "FU*K THIS!!" (oh you may) is you keep your job and fly for fun.

and whatever you do...walk quickly away from ANY school that has some "pro-pilot prgram" where you give them 25K up front...pay as you go or dont pay - many horror stories out there.

1 - If you enjoy engineering, stay with it. You'll make a lot more money.

2 - Don't EVER, EVER go to any school that makes you pay up front. Many have lost thier life savings this way.

3 - Get your private certificate and talk to as many CFI's, cargo pilots, and airline guys as you can.

4 - Read this forum every day until you have a very clear idea of what the job is really like. There is little money for quite a while. There is little glory, ever. And, while I love to fly, it gets less 'fun' every year, and simply becomes an enjoyable job.

If you hate being an engineer, then hey! Go for it, and see you at the interview.

I would second the private lisence before you commit to anything too drastic.

At your age, you will be 40 at the youngest before you get your commercial and ~45 before you start looking at airlines. You retire at 60, so you will have about 15 years of flying airline time.

If you seriously don't care about earning money, you could become a CFI and do flying on the side. You would be able to fly and still be a professional pilot. If you work hard, you could probibly have it by the time you are ~40. Plus you would never have to retire (unlike the airlines).

At your age, you will be 40 at the youngest before you get your commercial and ~45 before you start looking at airlines. You retire at 60, so you will have about 15 years of flying airline time.
Jedi, why would it take him 9 years to get his commercial and 14 years to land an airline interview?

*I thought he said 38*

It's not my day for numbers. Sorry!

Hello, My name is Eric and I'm new to the board. I am a 31 year old engineer and I want to change career paths in life.
Sometimes what you "want" isn't always the smartest thing to do... I don't think I would even contemplate leaving a well paying engineer job to make peanuts at the lower levels in this industry that you will be stuck at while working up the ranks.. Just not a very smart move in my opinion. The title "pilot" does not hold the same pride, glamour, prestige, etc, that it once did.. If I had to do it all over again I surely wouldn't have went into this profession as a career, much better to fly "for fun" versus having to do it to put food on the table. You have an airline industry that is on life support with a funeral director on stby, pay is horrible, 10,000 + ALPA furloughed pilots on the streets, etc, think wisely before you jump ship.... Take a look at this industry and you will see what you will be facing.

Before all ya'll young ones start pming me to hell and back :D this is merely MY personal and professional opinion and preference, don't be a follower, instead be a leader and do what is going to make you happy.

different strokes for different folks.

fly for fun versus for a job.....

Mr. American Airlines aka "Draginass" where are you?!?!!

3 5 0

ps>>> If you do in fact decide to do this and want the best possible route to the airlines in the shortest possible amount of time then I would seriously consider going to the Mesa Airlines Pilot Development Program (MAPD) in Farmington New Mexico if I were you. This is a very intensive 19 month program and upon completion you will be going right into the right seat of the ERJ, CRJ, Dash, or 1900. . . You will earn everything through hard work but by far one of the best programs in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help. I don't know what I want to do. I'd like to change career paths but it is very scary. The impression I get from here is that it is difficult to make a good living from flying. I'm not looking to to be a millionare I just want to be able to pay the bills. I'd be extremely happy if I could have a career flying and not be in bankruptcy court. I have been looking into NAIA North American Institute of Avaition .http://www.naiasc.com/ Has anyone had any experience with it? It is a 6 month intense course but you can get all your ratings in order to be a airline pilot. The course with housing is about $36000. I don't know if I should attend that or stay close to home and take lesson here but it will take longer. I'd be happy flying anything right now it doesn't have to be for an airline. Thanks again!

Latest resources

Back