Correct Tail Number for Flight Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

surveypilot

I recently started flying part 135 again for the first time since 1998. I remember after 9/11 that it became a requirement to file a T before your tail number if you were not approved for a company call sign in order to show that you were a 135 flight instead of a 91 flight. Was this a permanent requirement or simply a temporary requirement at that time?

If it is a permanent rule, can anyone point me to the regulation? I have searched and come up empty.

i believe this to be optional. I file that way because I think the controllers help you out a little more. I don't remember seeing a reg on it but maybe in the pilot/controller glossary?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It is FDC 2/5128. I kept searching through the regs. I had forgotten that it was an FDC NOTAM.

This was always recommended procedure (AIM) even prior to 9/11, but seldom used. It is standard practice since 9/11. There are some operational requirements where ATC should know you are Part 135 - LAHSO, TSA International Waiver, etc. I believe there was a NOTAM after 9/11 pointing toward use of TN... Ref: AIM 4-2-4 item a.4, 5-1-1 item j.

The TN isn't FAR, but listed in the AIM. After 9/11 we got tired of the TN callsign and filed for a callsign. Works great.

We fly 91 and 135. I got tired of trying to remember which was a Tango flight and which wasn't, so I just left it Tango.
I agree with Tug Driver. I think you do get a little more help from controllers.

I do believe the "t" thing was allways required,,, but nobody cared before 9/11. But,,, I went and got a regular CO.callsign well before that day. And it worked well in our favor. Because 2 days after the whole mess, the Feds allowed Air Carriers back in the air. And,,, because of our Co. callsign, guess what we were?

We filed and launched. And flew. All 6 plane fleet.

Latest resources

Back