• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ultraman

H.N.F. 1924-2003
Hey Guys,

I'd like some opinions about my current job. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful to have a flying job in today's economy, I'm just wondering if my job duties are more of the exception or the rule.

Our flight department consists of 2 pilots and one airplane. The flight department is about 26 years old and the chief pilot has been the only chief pilot the company has ever had. I have been employed here about 3 1/2 years.

My duties include, but are not limited to:

1)flying duties (I actually fly from the left seat about 1 out of every 6 legs)
2)cleaning the aircraft
a. washing it at least once a week
b. polishing the bright work at least 6 times a year
c. vacuuming it out after every flight
d. waxing the a/c about twice a year
3)vacuuming the office
4)taking the trash out of the office
5)cleaning the bathrooms in the office
6)sweeping out the hangar
7)preparing the flight department end of month report for the accounting department
8)report to the hangar every day that we don't fly (from 9a.m. to 12 noon)

When I accepted the job, the chief pilot told me that he would help keep the a/c clean. He has rinsed it off maybe 3 times and then complained to me that it should have been done earlier.

(Recently, because of a greatly increased number of flights, I fell behind on the Jepp revisions. We had several trips coming up and I was trying to get caught up. The chief pilot came into my office and asked if I was going to wash the airplane. I told him that I was behind on the Jepps and was trying to get caught up. He said, "Well the airplane has to be washed." I asked him which he preferred that I do because I couldn't do them both. He said, "I don't care, but the airplane has to be washed."
So, we had a clean airplane for the next flight, but the Jepps were not up to date.)

On the pro side: the pay is about average for the equipment, we fly to some really nice places, the benefits are good, and not a great number of RON's.

I 'm really not trying to complain (well maybe a little).
I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. I have had two previous corporate jobs and they were nothing like this.

really, the job you are describing usually goes through pilots quickly....
the chief pilot has no life and enjoys having a slave.
what you describe is NOTHING like most corporate jobs these days.
Do yourself a favor and find a new job!

You dont want to work for a company that can buy a multimillion dollar aircraft but wont pay a cleaning service to come in a few times a week. A quick once over when on the road where cleaning is not availiable is the norm, sweeping the hangar and waxing the jet certainly aint!

RUN, dont walk, away from this one!!!!!!! dont even give notice.......

P.S. the jepp situation is a no-brainer too.....its called Q service...

I have to agree with Gulfstream200 on this one.... You job is more the exception than the rule...

Most Corporate jobs have some extra duties but nothing compared to this.... I agree if a company can afford a multi-million dollar jet, the cost of a cleaning service (for the plane and hanger) is peanuts....

I work for a Fortune 100 company... we have 5 planes at my base and 20 pilots.... each pilot is assigned some Jepps (we have multiple world-wide set that they divide up for revisions, they are all Q-Service where Q-Service is available) It takes maybe 15 minutes every 2 weeks to do them...

We are not expected to come in to do our Jepps, just do them when you come iin for a trip.... Several of us keep up a couple other items... I maintain the checklists for our planes, another guys handles the Med-Aire schedule... several other have additional minor duties like these... nothing that accounts for more than a couple hours per year..... We never have to come into the hanger unless we are flying...

Here is what I would do if I were you... start looking intensely for a new job... don't quit this one until you have a new one guaranteed.... Then go in and tell you boss you are leaving and politely lay out the reasons why... Thank him for the opportunity to work there and never look back.... If you lay it out for him, MAYBE it will help the next guy somewhat.....

Hope this helps....

Good luck to you!

Falcon Capt.

Been there, done that...

Ultraman,

I strenuously echo the comments to both of the obviously experienced replies to your querry. Believe me, I've been there too. When I started reading your post I immediately thought of a previous corp job I had endured for almost four years. Same situation... exactly. I was so screwed up after that experience that it actually shook the very foundation of my confidence in my abilities and knowledge... not to mention the fact that I looked as though I had aged about ten years in only four. Playing a whipping boy for an egomaniacle taskmaster with no life can only be described as masochism.

Sprint to the nearest exit. I would however definitely leave at least a two week notice after finding a real job. Your reputation is everything is this business and you will definitely want a letter of recommendation from this employer regardless of how they treated you. Leave on good terms if at all possible but leave nonetheless.

From the limited and brief information I extracted from your post, you sound like a person with a high degree of personal responsibility and dedication. If this is the case, you should have little difficulty landing a good job somewhere. Your time does seem a bit low for a good fortune job right now however, keep building your time, experience, and personal reputation and you will be in the forefront of corporate aviation someday soon.

If you ever land a management position, never forget what your current boss is like. It will be a constant reminder of how not to act. In addition, it will solidify your resolve to be a better leader.

If you need help getting started with your job search, let me know. Due to bad timing and a bit of chance, I am unfortunately an expert at locating good corporate flying jobs.

Steve

Gopher

It's hard to believe that there are still guys out there that play this stupid game with people. As you can tell, there are many people who feel your pain. I worked for two outfits that treated me exactly the same way. I made a vow to myself many years ago that I would never treat another human being that way, and I made my wife promise to kick my A_ _ if I ever did.

As much as you will want to give your chief pilot a piece of your mind, I agree with the other gentlemen that you should try to leave on good terms. As angry as I was when I left my two jobs from hell, I left on good terms. To this day they still write good recommendations for me, and even call for help on occasion. But I would leave nonetheless! This guy you are working for has some serious problems! You are a pilot and that should be your primary job. Some of these old school guys have some kind of bottled up frustration they feel they have to take out on every young pilot that comes their way. You are too good of a person to continue dealing with that kind of mental torture.

There are tons of good jobs out there and you appear to be highly qualified. If you need help, drop a note on here and I'll help if I can. Don't settle for being treated less than a professional, you spent a bunch of money and time to get where you are, don't short yourself!

Ultraman:

You're not happy with the Chiefpilot so you answered your own question didnt you? Give the notice, dont burn the bridge. This job was a stepping stone. It's time to move onward and upward.

I once worked for a really great company but the Chief Pilot made my life a living hell. It's better you move on.

Good luck guy.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies, helpful hints and words of encouragement.

I am carefully weighing my options and will decide what to do very soon. I know that others have it much tougher than I do.

Best wishes to you all.

Ultraman

I feel your pain....but not to the same degree. I have had a similiar job with many extra duties including maintenace. However my chief pilot was an excellent guy to work for and assisted or accomplished many of the extra duties we had, in addition we only flew approximately 250 hours a year. The extra duties kept you from getting too bored. We had a 3 year old airplane, but I never actually washed the WHOLE thing! Just do the shinney parts and anywhere the boss can see........worked good for me, and my boss was very meticulous! The top part of the aircraft was spectacular.....just dont look at the belly, wheel wells, bottom of the wings....etc. If you are flying a lot, these extra duties can be real trouble.......Hang in there and good luck! Oh yea....dont burn any bridges, this industry is very small!!!

Take care

Any contacts yet?

Hey Ultraman,

Any luck with your search? I've been out of town for a few days and recently changed my email address. PM me if you need some help.

Latest resources

Back