Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
After being on the streets for a year, I have a interview for a corporate pilot job flying the Citation VII.

Having only airline interview experience, I was hoping someone could give me some general information on what I can expect during the interview. There will be a pilot and HR people conducting the interview and it's a fairly large corporation.

Any information, tips, and/or insights to the interview and to coprorate flying in general would be great.

Really depends on the operation but I would suspect more of a meet and greet. In a small flight department they are really looking at can I work in the cockpit with this guy. Because unlike the airline your stuck with who you fly with. I would not expect the same type of technical questions from the airline either. Focus on being a team playing, having the ability to go above and beyond and customer service. Unlike the airline the job does not stop when the parking break is set.

Good luck,

Chairman

Be positive, cheerful, relaxed and just be yourself. They will want to know something about you and your experience. May ask you how you feel about working weekends and holidays. May ask you how you will like working an erratic schedule. They really just want to see if you would be a good fit. May ask you what you like to do in your free time. May want to know why you want to leave airline or if you want to go back. Good luck.

As FIDO says...just be yourself.

Ask questions. You are looking at them as much as they are at you.

I always worried about guys who had no questions or didn't gently inquire about QOL. Don't leave being a stranger. Have some personality. Pilots sometimes lack that.

I'd expect less of the ridiculous airline interview type questions (drinking, busting mins etc) and expect more of the "what do you like to do in your free time?"...."what makes you think you will fit in well here?" type questions. Oh, and please don't tell me your hobbies are flying, reading, and the internet.

Be relaxed. If they offer to take your coat, have a water etc...go for it. Don't be stiff...and no, we dont give a fu*k what color your tie is...just look neat.

Have your research done. Know the company basics. I have interviewed people for Global Express jobs who told me they prefer not to go too far away...as I look out in the hangar at 6000nm airplanes and a company that does 80% of its business overseas....:confused:

Also keep in mind you are not looking to be an airline pilot anymore. You don't want the stereotypical airline pilot mentality (as they say)..thats an entire debate in itself on these boards - just put some thought into it.

Above all, be confident!!! - The best thing you can do is come across as friendly, experienced and confident -- yet humble. It's a real talent to pull that off in an interview.

Take notes, get names, and follow up that day with a "Thank You for having me in" note.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have interviewed people for Global Express jobs who told me they prefer not to go too far away...as I look out in the hangar at 6000nm airplanes and a company that does 80% of its business overseas....!

Yea, it is amazing how clueless some people tend to be. Great advise though!

Gulfstream 200 said:
Don't leave being a stranger. Have some personality. Pilots sometimes lack that.

+1

I like flying, reading and the internet as much as the next guy :D, but there is definitely something about a person who has interests and hobbies outside of the cockpit or their laptop. I can only imagine that sentiment is amplified when you're facing regular 9+ hour legs with somebody...

You do not have to be flying a 9 hour leg to realize the person next to you is a tool - it may only take a few minutes.

My inteviews for flight operations have been more about me as a person than aviation. The credentials that you have sent in or bring in are the first of perhaps many steps to find out what the person is all about. Like the previous posts have mentioned, being a good crew member on the road is only part of the equation.

Best of luck on the interview

The first question will probably be, "So how long have you known so and so." After that, they'll ask you about your experience...what have you flown, who have you flown for.

They know you can fly an airplane. What they want to know is can you tell a story, after all, you'll be sitting 2 feet from them for hours at a time and if they can't stand listening to you, they aren't going to hire you. Go over some funny stories that would be appropriate and remember they are looking for an employee, not an employer.

Everybody's posts so far address how to impress the pilot but they're forgetting the poster mentioned an HR person in the interview. The pilots at most places are the most important to get along with as they will have the FINAL say in who gets hired (if the HR person makes the call you probably don't want to work there). BUT, you've got to have something lined up to make the HR guy/gal get you to the next level. Know some things about their operation (the business side), know some of the Chief Officers' names and maybe some background, know what their involvement is in the community, stuff like that.

All of the above is great information. I just received a resume from a pilot that had the name of our company spelled wrong...duh.

Latest resources

Back