Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mamba20

Do what now?
I've got an interview with a coroporate company coming up and I was curious of what they tend to look for in general. I'm coming from the 121 side and I know that corporate folks tend to not like 121 people. Anyone care to share some ideas?

Thanks!

They like guys who can spell CORPORATE. But all kidding aside, I made the move from 121 to corp. about 4 years ago and have no regrets. As far as the interview goes each company and flight dept. will have its own corporate culture and most dept managers or CPs are looking for someone who will represent them, the dept and the company in a positive manner. Be prepared for questions about your views on customer service/interaction. I got a little heat about this on my interview (Fortune200 dept.) because of the 121 background. I told them a few stories from the 1900 days and tactfully reminded them that there was no door or F/A so we pretty much were the cust. service dept. He actually got a pretty good chuckle out of it. So to wrap it up, be honest and open about your plans/goals and relax. Most companies are not looking for robots or clones. They want an active team player with a good attitude and strong work ethic, this makes those 6 and 8 day trips a lot more bearable. You may also want to study up on the overall business picture. CEO name, products or services offered, annual sales, plant/facility locations.
We have hired mulitple guys with 121 backgrounds and all have worked out extremely well, no problems at all. Good Luck and let me know how it goes!!!!!

Merc

We're interviewing right now, so each pilot available comes in to meet the candidate in a question and answer type roundtable. We're looking for compatablity, as well as flying skills. And it gives the candidate a chance to meet us, and evaluate us too. We all don't dislike 121 guys; our last new hire came from a regional.

Best advice I was given when making the switch from 121 to corporate.

TEAM PLAYER....TEAM PLAYER...make sure that you relay to your interviewers that you are a TEAM PLAYER and can get along with anyone. Our deptment has a mix of straight military, 121 and corporate backgrounds so it is imperative with all of the different backgrounds that we have people that can work well together.

Good Luck to you.

Hey guys, 3 great answers. I have a friend who just left the airlines after 20 years, 50 years old, 15 as captain on big iron, and army helo's before that. He took retirement by choice not a layoff. He got a great corporate job because he came right out and said" I have not filed a flight plan in 25 or more years, don't know how to order fuel or catering, so please put me in the right seat til I am up to speed. I can fly with the best of them, but I have wanted to fly corporate for years and am here because I WANT TO BE.
Music to the employers ears! My corporate credentials are impeccable(my spelling is not) but I would be in the same spot at a airline, clueless. Be your self and re-read the above answers, they nail it. I love this 91 stuff.

Last edited:
Another question. For the duration that I am a SIC I am not trained in anyway. I just do the 3 bounces and take the books home to learn the airplane. In your opinion should this be a red flag? The salary isnt bad at all, about twice what I make at my current regional, but what makes me a little gun shy is the fact that they dont seem to want to invest in someone. I've flown for a company like that before where all they wanted was a warm body to keep the insurance folks happy. I'm not sure if this company is like that though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mamba20 said:
Another question. For the duration that I am a SIC I am not trained in anyway. I just do the 3 bounces and take the books home to learn the airplane. In your opinion should this be a red flag? The salary isnt bad at all, about twice what I make at my current regional, but what makes me a little gun shy is the fact that they dont seem to want to invest in someone. I've flown for a company like that before where all they wanted was a warm body to keep the insurance folks happy. I'm not sure if this company is like that though. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

YES ....

Ask them about duty times, 8 hour waits in FBO's and the like. I bet you see logs of red flags. Guys like this are all the same!

I had the interview today. . . I think it went ok, but to be honest I'm not sure about it. They really kind of rushed things and didnt seem to be that interested in getting to know me. They didnt tell me a whole lot about the job and what it entailed and at the end they didnt even give me time to ask questions, to which I had several.

I see that you have already had your interview, but for future reference I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Be ready to answer why you are leaving 121. One reason they may not be interested in sending you to school is appearantly you are still flying for a regional. Why would they want to spend several thousand bucks on you if you may go back, or not leave the regional? Of course I'm just guessing, I don't know the whole situation. They could be a bunch loosers. Like G100 said, ask questions. Although 8 hour waits at the FBO are not that uncommon in the corporate world. That's the whole idea. You leave point A, go to point B. Your pax have meetings all day then you return them to point A so they, and you, can sleep in their own beds that night. However, you shouldn't have many days that exceed 135 or 121 duty limits. If there are, they should allow you to rent day rooms, or make some other arrangements. If not....red flags!! Big ones.

The team player part is a REAL biggy. In 121 you fly with the same guy for a month or how ever your particular operator does it. After your tour with that guy it may be months or even years before you see him again. In the corporate world, you have to sit next to the same guy, (or few guys) almost everyday from now on. How would you like to do that with a complete a$$hole? I like what g4800xp said. The new guy had tons of experience, but wanted to learn the job and wanted to do his share of the work. I would hire a guy like that in a heartbeat. Get along with people and let them be able to get along with you. In realestate, the three most important things are location, location, and location. In a corporate flight department it's attitude, attitude, and attitude.

Latest resources

Back