Cordoba or Granada?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I'm spending some time in Southern Spain, and have enough time for an overnight visit away from my duty location. I've always wanted to visit both Cordoba and Granada. Cordoba will be much closer, but I suspect that Granada may offer more tourist appeal.

I'm particularly interested in the historical and cultural aspects of each city.

Any thoughts?
[/font]

Last edited:
KC-10 Driver said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I'm spending some time in Southern Spain, and have enough time for an overnight visit away from my duty location. I've always wanted to visit both Cordoba and Granada. Cordoba will be much closer, but I suspect that Granada may offer more tourist appeal.

I'm particularly interested in the historical and cultural aspects of each city.

Any thoughts?
[/font]

Haven't been to Cordoba, but Granada is excellent. The town has tons of historical appeal as well as the Alhambra Palace. If you go there, make sure to go to the opposite hillside and check it out from the plaza as the sun sets on the city and the lights start to illuminate the Alhambra. Also there are a few monastaries and cathederals there to see as well.

Muchos hotos chicas there as well, apparently it's a college town.

The Cordoba and the Granada are both great cars. With the Cordoba, you get the Corinthian leather, and the powerful 360 V8 engine with a torque-glide transmission. The Granada... It's basically a Mercedes Benz, but its made by Ford. Very smooth ride.

You might want to consider a Monte Carlo as well.

redshirt said:
With the Cordoba, you get the Corinthian leather, ...
Thank you, Ricardo Montalban. :)

But, isn't it "fine" Corinthian leather? :)

[EDIT: OK, seriously now, was it "fine" Corinthian leather, or "rich" Corinthian leather? Half the references I find on the web have one, and half have the other. Who can find an authoritative resource to settle the matter?]

Last edited:
redshirt said:
The Cordoba and the Granada are both great cars. With the Cordoba, you get the Corinthian leather, and the powerful 360 V8 engine with a torque-glide transmission. The Granada... It's basically a Mercedes Benz, but its made by Ford. Very smooth ride.

You might want to consider a Monte Carlo as well.

Redshirt,

You beat me to it. Most excellent post.

CR

Granada wins because of the Alhambra, but try to book your tickets before you go. Only 8000 tickets are alloted each day. It is advisable to book ahead from May to October. You can do so at any branch of the Banco BBV or by calling 902-224460, also try www.alhambra.org. The tickets have a half hour time stamp for entrance to the Palacio Nazaries. When I visited we spent the better part of six hours just trapsing around the grounds. The Albayzin and Sacromonte can keep you busy as well.

Cordoba is excellent during the Festival of Patios in May. That is when private homes open up their richly decorated patios to the public and have a competition. The Alcazar de los Reyes Christianos and Mezquita are both excellent. Flamenco dancing at night can be quite good as well.

You can't really go wrong with either, pity you can't do both.

TP

Thanks for all the info everyone.

We did a day trip to Cordoba last week, and it was great. The Mezquita was breathtaking. And, we loved wandering around the Juderia -- found a great little tapas bar for snacks and a few beers near the Puerta de Almodovar. The Alcazar was also very interesting.

As it turns out, I have more off-time than I anticipated. We will take an overnight trip to Granada at the end of this week. I've done my homework, and have a pretty good idea what to do -- already bought my Alhambra tickets.

Also, we're going to Sevilla for the day tomorrow -- I've been there several times, but there is more to see (and more shopping for my wife to do...).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Yeah, beat me to it also. :)

I am pretty sure it was "rich" corinthian leather, it was how I remembered it, even before reading your post.

Latest resources

Back