• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Coolest emerging aviation technology?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All of these are great, but the virtual highway is the best tool for situational awareness. This makes instrument flying much like driving on a transparent road, and makes use of our natural desire for visual input. Add other traffic, terrain, weather, and it would be simpler than most of today's advanced video games.

I thought I'd also throw out the free flight concept, which would basically make the current airway system obsolete. If you are unfamiliar with the concept, it basically involves mating GPS with a transponder system similar to TCAS that would allow pilots to fly direct, or at least off airways and still keep traffic manageable. The potential benefits include increased fuel efficiency, quicker enroute times, more convenience and increased traffic capacity.

The other suggestions about GA airframe and powerplant advances are great as well. I'd look at composites, the diesel engines, and the light-weight jets that are being developed. GA is definitely the portion of the industry that lags behind technologically. A C-172 rolling off the line today is essentially the same as those rolling off the line 30 years ago. Nicer avionics and interior... But same old airframe and powerplant.

Best new, new, technology is the paperless cockpit. Your chart and approach plate revisions come on a compact disk and can be read in a tablet computer.

All professional pilots spend several hours a month updating their charts. Every once in a while you find a chart is missing, or you destroy your charts with a spilled Coke.

The CD Jepp revisions will be cheaper, more accurate and best of all, easier.

ADS-B and Mode-S combo...

Free flight's acomin'!!

cleared direct....

Chunk

Latest resources

Back