• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EX_CV580FR8Dawg

De Oppresso Liber
http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/040...F-0000C-002.jpg

here is the caption:

MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE, Idaho -- Capt. Christopher Stricklin ejects from the USAF Thunderbirds number six aircraft less than a second before it impacted the ground at an air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, Sept. 14. Stricklin, who was not injured, ejected after both guiding the jet away from the crowd of more than 60,000 people and ensuring he couldn't save the aircraft. This was only the second crash since the Air Force began using F-16 Falcons for its demonstration team in 1982. The ACES II ejection seat performed flawlessly.

thought this might be of some interest

Repost!

Somebody said that picture wasn't real or it was changed. I think Avweb said something like that. Although, it looks like the real deal.

Wankel

I saw the in-cockpit video of the crash. That was pretty cool. I might be able to find it again for those that are interested...

As far as I know, that picture is accurate and the base CO wasn't too happy at its release. This from a friend of a friend though, that flies the F-16 (Block 60)...

I think maybe why that first link is now a dead link?

Glad I saved the Pic:D

It's a real picture. AvWeb confirmed it last week after some initial doubts. It was taken by an Air Force officer up on the control tower deck. He mentioned he was "mildly concerned" the aircraft was heading right for him. I've seen both the inside video and the outside video. Apparently the Thunderbird pilot misread his altimeter performaing a split-s after a takeoff.

Whoops

Most aerobatic performers set their altimeter to zero so they can read AGL. This airport elevation made that impossible so they had to add a "factor" to the altitude for each manuever. The thunderbird called his altitude to the ground guy at the top of the first manuever (a reverse cuban) and the ground guy confirmed it. However, they both added wrong, by about 150 feet....

Thunderbirds accident report released

Air Combat Command Public Affairs

01/21/2004 – LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (ACCNS) – Pilot error caused a U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds F-16 aircraft to crash shortly after takeoff at an airshow Sept. 14 at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. The pilot ejected just before the aircraft impacted the ground.

According to the accident investigation board report released today, the pilot misinterpreted the altitude required to complete the “Split S” maneuver. He made his calculation based on an incorrect mean-sea-level altitude of the airfield. The pilot incorrectly climbed to 1,670 feet above ground level instead of 2,500 feet before initiating the pull down to the Split S maneuver.

When he realized something was wrong, the pilot put maximum back stick pressure and rolled slightly left to ensure the aircraft would impact away from the crowd should he have to eject. He ejected when the aircraft was 140 feet above ground – just eight-tenths of a second prior to impact. He sustained only minor injuries from the ejection. There was no other damage to military or civilian property.

The aircraft, valued at about $20.4 million, was destroyed.

Also, the board determined other factors substantially contributed to creating the opportunity for the error including the requirement for demonstration pilots to convert mean sea level and above ground level altitudes and performing a maneuver with a limited margin of error.

Same pic: http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=78919038&f=364190332&m=9431928396

Another view (closer, disregard comments...heh):

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=010994

Latest resources

Back