Converting to JAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

heph224

I am a FAA licensed pilot and there is a possibility of me getting employement in Europe. I was wondering how long, how expensive, and how complicated it would be for me to convert all my certs and ratings?

FAA to JAA

heph224,

It is a long and painful process. PM me and I can pass along the info I have.

www.pprune.org is a good source for euro stuff.

I tried asking once on there, but my inquiry wasn't welcomed to much. They get a question like that every week. The search function was deactivated at the time though ;)

There are some distant learning schools that you can do the stuff part time. Basically it boils down to 14 exams and a year of studying. You have to study really crazy stuff like celestial navigation and around the world flight planning using real weather.

The medical costs about $600 USD

You have to do 15 hrs every 2 years with a JAR instructor to stay current (not many JAR instructors in the US)

@duke - in theory, that is correct. But i just saw that heph has "all" ratings and 1600 hours. In that case, he can skip most of the exams.

You may need to do all 14 written exams, that depends on how much flight time you have in planes with a MTOW of 20 metric tons I think it is.
For a conversion you also need Multi crew time.
Visit www.naplesaircenter.com this is one of the JAA approved schools in the US.
I can't recommend them for flight training but they seem to have reasonable pass rates on their ATPL groundschool.
Can't copy/paste here for some reason:confused: so click on international students, then license conversion, choose FAA ATP to JAA ATP.
The pull down menu gives you the whole thang and it ain't pretty.
It's a political game that's all it is.
I remember now why I came to the US....:D

I've spoke with some people who are doing the ground school at Naples Air Center and they aren't happy with the quality of instruction / service.

Latest resources

Back